Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2024, 08:36 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
meh, sure it's important to understand and recognize what has happened in the past, but with big companies especially, I think they are best judged by what they are doing today. We have very real world problems that are happening right now; I think it makes sense to support companies that are doing the right things now and boycott those that are not.
Agreed. In our democracy we vote with ballots. In our capitalism we vote with money.
Old 08-25-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
meh, sure it's important to understand and recognize what has happened in the past, but with big companies especially, I think they are best judged by what they are doing today. We have very real world problems that are happening right now; I think it makes sense to support companies that are doing the right things now and boycott those that are not.
I completely agree. Recognition of the past and understanding how it created the world we live in is important. Nothing is new, human nature predicts behavior, it's up to us to decide what we will tolerate. The master's degree I finishing right now is Military History. My thesis discusses information warfare in U.S. History beginning with 1760s colonial America.
Old 08-25-2024, 09:38 AM

It is important to note that not a single person who collaborated with the Nazi party in business during WWII is alive today. Punishing people who had nothing to do with that is pointless. Germany is currently one of the USA strongest allies in the world.
ANY large corporation is completely amoral. They NEVER deserve your loyalty because they have none. They don't really care about right or wrong and only about maximizing profit. They will gladly kill your grandma and bulldoze paradise for a buck. They can't truly get the death penalty. If the government dissolves the corporation, they will organize under a different name next week.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:02 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
Back in the 90's I had some sidewall failures with Conti bike tires and never bought them again.

I bought a car in January that had new Conti tires on it. 2 weeks ago boom and 1 tire exploded due to a sidewall failure. nothing around on the road that may have punctured it. Appears to be a sidewall failure.
I like Conti car tires. Have them on two of our vehicles.

Stopped riding Contis on my bikes back in the early oughts.

PS: Porsche is also dead to me because of Ferdinand's arms manufacturing. It has nothing to do with the fact that I can't afford one.

Last edited by Elefantino; 08-25-2024 at 11:06 AM.