Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2024, 03:33 PM

When I found wider rims (20mm internal) with 23mm Vittoria tires at 80 PSI rode virtually identically to Veloflex tubulars I decided my days of riding tubulars were over. Today I ride with 25mm tires at 75 PSI and I’m happy.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
These conversations are always a struggle since basically nothing is known - tape type, tire type, what "difficult" means, if good technique is used, etc. I've installed a few hundred tires on HED rims, but those tires have all been Conti 5Ks, Schwalbe Pro Ones, Vittoria Corsas, etc - many samples of a fairly broad representation of high performance tires, but nothing really other than very high spec tires. And my rim sample is huge but excludes almost all pre-built wheels and a wide variety of rims. Everything mentioned by OP are rims I've used.

I also use levers 100% of the time. I find nothing to be gained in not using them when using them is so easy. I always have one with me when I ride, and I keep them everywhere where I might work on a bike. People talk about not using levers in a way that I don't think about it. Not using a lever to put a tire on is, to me, a bit like not using a hammer to put a nail in.

I've not ever struggled with putting a tire on a HED rim. If you have the entire tire bead in the channel and finish at the valve stem, you shouldn't either. Another way of saying this is that circumstances that would cause people to struggle with installing a tire on a HED rim would, in my experience, cause struggles with other rims.
I'd love to see a video of how you do it. I feel like I have a much harder time getting tires off.
Old 08-21-2024, 07:51 PM

Velocity Quill and HED rims have been no issue for me. I always describe it as some tires are easier to mount than others, with the rims being a constant.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I'd love to see a video of how you do it. I feel like I have a much harder time getting tires off.
https://youtu.be/Dd0QsdCwq6E?si=UnYuP5PzM-gFnHpt

Here’s an old video of installation. Removal is similar - push the ENTIRE bead into the channel, then dig a tire lever in there facing up. I still use the Park levers from the video. They’re the best levers by a mile. Then you just dig the bead out. You’ll need to lever it pretty hard in some cases. Once that small bit of bead is out you slide the lever along the rim and once you start making any progress with that, you’ve won the game. The rest is very easy.

The rim/tire combo here is a Pacenti SL23 and a Hutchinson tire. A super tight-beaded tire on an infamously tight rim. No sweat.

I’m sure there are things I finesse just from having done it a zillion times but anyone can do it.

Last edited by November Dave; 08-21-2024 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:20 AM

HED Belgium & DT460

I first used Old potato built wheels with DT460 rims for about 5 years or so and recently had OldPotato build a set using HED Belgiums.

I struggled at first with the DT rims but then figured it out. No issues at all with HED as I have the method that works for me. No levers.

Using conti 4000 & 5000 on both rims.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:48 AM

I am about the same weight as the OP and had Belgium + with various 28 tires on them, all used with tubes including butyl, TPU and latex. I pump the tires to between 75 and 80 lbs of pressure.

My observations and experiences.

Schwalbe Pro 1 TLE - run with tubes (butyl only). Hardest tire to mount, so much so that I actually ruined a rim when the tire did not seat and it deformed the rim.

Continental GP5000 for tubes - used all tube types, tight to mount, but not that bad. Able to do it with my hands.

Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0 - easiest to mount, used with all types of tubes.

Based on what I have read, I would suggest latex tubes in place of tubeless, unless you ride someplace with thorns and other debris that cuts tires.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:14 AM

Thanks to everyone sharing your knowledge and experience.

For the cyclocross I ended choosing Hed Belgium+ (with Bitex hubs and Sapim Race spokes) and will definitely try lower pressure with latex tubes before trying tubless eventually if I feel for it.

I will try the weelset on both my road bike and cyclocross and will see how it feels before deciding what rim I will choose for the road bike wheelset.

Also thanks for the advices on tires choices and the use of tire levers (I always tought it was not recommended so I mounted all my tires by hand only).

My wheels should be ready in about a week (wheelbuilder have everything in stock). Can't wait to ride them.

Cheers!
Old 08-23-2024, 07:15 PM

I'll be interested in what you can get to work for the road. I've gotten 30mm tires on before, then could not remount it and have not been able to mount new tires. Larger tires should be fine.