Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2024, 09:37 AM

Help with Kurt Kinetic trainer-need manual

I bought a used Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Smart Control trainer, but don't have the manual. I haven't found a manual online yet, and I'm wondering if anyone might have a pdf of this manual?

Alternatively, I'm missing the power supply so if I can find out what supply I need I can get it up and running and figure it out using the Kinetic app.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:27 AM

What the hell happened to their support page? They had all the docs on it.
Have you sent the company an email?
Old 08-21-2024, 10:30 AM
Princess Sweat

" Kinetic quietly sold their company shell and branding to Magene, where it now basically sells Magene trainers under the Kinetic name (there are no longer production/etc facilities in the US). "

From DC Rainmaker.

Unfortunately, the company is worthless now. The support they once offered is pretty much gone.

It might be worth turning to Reddit or other sites like that to find out what you need.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
What the hell happened to their support page? They had all the docs on it.
Have you sent the company an email?
I bought the trainer used one year ago, mostly because they had an excellent support page and spare parts available. Now it’s pretty much worthless.

I’ve sent the company multiple emails but have not received a reply, which led to this email.
Old 08-21-2024, 11:09 AM

I would buy a Wahoo trainer. That trainer is a dead product. Th e newer trainers are way better than old models. A will give you the resistance you need to get stronger.
Old 08-21-2024, 11:12 AM

Ugh - I am sorry to say, but this might now work out well. These trainers were generally crap to begin with, and now Kinetic is a shell of a company.

I bought the first gen Smart trainer - the T7000. It never worked. They literally sent me 3 of them before they refunded my money and just told me to keep the trainer. It is just sitting here collecting dust. I have the power cord if it is the same version you need. Would be glad to mail it to you.

But I wouldn't invest too much into this. I couldn't even find an existing Kinetic Trainer app on my phone. Did you?
Old 08-21-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Ugh - I am sorry to say, but this might now work out well. These trainers were generally crap to begin with, and now Kinetic is a shell of a company.

I bought the first gen Smart trainer - the T7000. It never worked. They literally sent me 3 of them before they refunded my money and just told me to keep the trainer. It is just sitting here collecting dust. I have the power cord if it is the same version you need. Would be glad to mail it to you.

But I wouldn't invest too much into this. I couldn't even find an existing Kinetic Trainer app on my phone. Did you?
I bought it used a year ago for $100, so I don’t have too much invested. But it did work and I downloaded the Kinetic app a year ago, so I’m hoping that I can get it up and running with either the app or Zwift once I get a power supply.
Old 08-21-2024, 09:59 PM

Edit: that might not be the one I have (mine measured power but didn’t need a cord).
Old 08-21-2024, 11:12 PM

I have that and might have the manual somewhere. Am traveling but shoot me a PM and I'll be able to get to in a couple weeks.

There really isn't much in terms of the manual that I can recall using. The app is in the apple store.

Edit: quick search and is this what you're after? https://www.manualslib.com/manual/27...00.html#manual

And a quick search on Amazon and here's the power supply: https://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-Kurt-.../dp/B0BHW16GXG

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited by 54ny77; 08-21-2024 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:08 AM

Thanks, the manual and power supply source are very helpful.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:49 AM

This is the app.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kinetic.jpg (51.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 08-22-2024, 10:32 PM

yep. i haven't really figured out how to use it other than measuring wattage for the hour or so i use it now & then. i use the "free ride" function and then just wind it up or cruise however i feel the need. works fine in that regard, although i'm sure there's more sophisticated ways to use it.

that's a tandem on there by the way, and sorry for the oddball photo orientation. no idea why that happens when posting pics here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
This is the app.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8072.jpg (147.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-23-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
yep. i haven't really figured out how to use it other than measuring wattage for the hour or so i use it now & then. i use the "free ride" function and then just wind it up or cruise however i feel the need. works fine in that regard, although i'm sure there's more sophisticated ways to use it.
That’s basicallly what I got the trainer for. I’n not a big fan of indoor trainers, but I thought I’d try the new tech out and see if I could get a workout in the winter months. And Zwift looks kind of inviting to play with, and this unit is supposed to be able to increase effort on virtual hills, so again it sounded funt to experiment with.
Old 08-23-2024, 10:00 AM

i've always wanted to try zwift but am too lazy to set it up.

to get wattage up/resistance, i just pedal harder. on the tandem that's in the 52 and whatever gear i need to be in. on road bike same thing.

just make sure you get the steel skewers and use 'em on rear wheel. otherwise those clamps will scratch up whatever you've got and might not be secure enough. the clamping mechanism itself is brilliantly simple. it's also the only stationary trainer i could find that could accommodate a tandem rear spacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derosid View Post
That’s basicallly what I got the trainer for. I’n not a big fan of indoor trainers, but I thought I’d try the new tech out and see if I could get a workout in the winter months. And Zwift looks kind of inviting to play with, and this unit is supposed to be able to increase effort on virtual hills, so again it sounded funt to experiment with.
Old 08-23-2024, 02:32 PM

I implemented the kurt kinetic support in golden cheetah. I made a video about how to connect and use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-ZnP14pAE

I never got to try their smart trainer but folks told me it worked well.

Hardest part is getting the right ble dongle so you can talk to it with your pc but after that its free free free.