Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2024, 02:25 PM

T47 Internal Bearings - BB Tool

Am I the only one who seems to consistently strip either the bottom bracket or the adapter when torquing a TT47 internal bottom bracket to spec? The splines are just so small

I use a standard park tool adapter and a torque wrench. But I always slip at high torque and it scrapes off material from one side or the other… thus making it even worse for the next go around.

Any tips out there? Or the best adapter/bottom bracket fit? I think I’m going to replace both after the next time I remove my bottom bracket.
Old 08-20-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane4XC View Post
Am I the only one who seems to consistently strip either the bottom bracket or the adapter when torquing a TT47 internal bottom bracket to spec? The splines are just so small

I use a standard park tool adapter and a torque wrench. But I always slip at high torque and it scrapes off material from one side or the other… thus making it even worse for the next go around.

Any tips out there? Or the best adapter/bottom bracket fit? I think I’m going to replace both after the next time I remove my bottom bracket.
Park makes a tool specifically to address this issue:

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...iABEgLtnfD_BwE

Basically, it holds the tool in place by clamping the tool to one side of the BB shell with a rod going to the other side of the BB shell. This tool may be a tad expensive for occasional use, but the concept is simple, so you can probably come up with your own way to do the same thing.
Old 08-20-2024, 02:45 PM

You need a tool that looks like this - no adapters, no inserts, the torque applied is directly in line with the BB interface.

I have a few T47 bikes and I'm really not a big fan of this system - I feel like the tool interface could be a few mm wider and would make life a lot easier.

Old 08-20-2024, 02:48 PM

push/hold the tool against the BB with your other hand.
I had this problem with DT Swiss Centrelock adapters - the above technique stopped it from happenin.g
Old 08-20-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

Basically, it holds the tool in place by clamping the tool to one side of the BB shell with a rod going to the other side of the BB shell. This tool may be a tad expensive for occasional use, but the concept is simple, so you can probably come up with your own way to do the same thing.
My man. Thank you for linking this tool. I never noticed the threads on my BB tool. Hate the thin flanges on my t47i cups. This will resolve that issue.
Old 08-20-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

This is exactly why I asked. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2024, 03:48 PM

When in doubt check what Dave Rome at escape collective has to say.

A full article on tools, hacks and issues with T47.

https://escapecollective.com/threade...ttom-brackets/
Old 08-20-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
When in doubt check what Dave Rome at escape collective has to say.

A full article on tools, hacks and issues with T47.

https://escapecollective.com/threade...ttom-brackets/
Another good read.

"One final tip is to put a thin plastic bag between your socket and the bottom bracket flange. Doing this will help to protect the often-delicate bottom bracket flanges and will greatly reduce the chances of you damaging any paint that may be behind it."
Old 08-20-2024, 04:26 PM

Luckily, my T47 BB is the outboard bearing type so there is much more surface area for the tool.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0243.jpg (68.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-20-2024, 05:29 PM
Meh

+1 for the plastic bag trick.
Old 08-20-2024, 06:05 PM

I have a length of threaded rod with big washers to secure the tool to cup through the BB shell. a wrap of masking tape to protect the BB finish
Old 08-20-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Luckily, my T47 BB is the outboard bearing type so there is much more surface area for the tool.

Tim
To be fair, if you could use an external t47 bracket on a 86mm frame shell, I’m sure we all would
Old 08-21-2024, 10:18 AM

This is a challenging application for tools to say the least. All of our T47 tools have a center boss with an M6 thread that can be used to bolt the tool into the bike. This is an age old trick and is really nice to ensure good engagement. The other thing we do is to cut out a lot of the extra clearance between the tool and cup so the tool fits way tighter to begin with. Some tools have an absurd amount of clearance and make this problem 5 times harder than it needs to be. You're not going to wedge a plastic baggie in between our tool and the cup in most situations. The last suggestion. Hold the opposite side of the bottom bracket shell with your spare hand and pull the frame into your body. Put your thigh against the backside of the torque wrench. This also helps keep the tool engaged and slip free.

Steels are Alloys too!