Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2024, 09:28 PM

OT: Yellowstone N.P. Winter Vacation

I'm wondering if any Forumites have experienced Yellowstone National Park in the winter. My wife and I enjoy snowshoeing and XC skiing, and we'd like to see the park in the winter. We see a few listings for guided tours, but guided tours aren't our thing. At the same time, we realize that in that environment, that might be much safer.

So, curious if you did the trip on your own or with a guided tour group. Skiing, snow shoeing, what was your adventure?
Old 08-16-2024, 05:05 AM

It's a simple question to answer.

1. If you want to ski by yourselves, stay on the marked trails (there is a lot ) and start with the easy ones and work your way up over the trip. You gradually figure out your level vs. the park level, and keep yourselves safe.

2. If you want to go off marked trails, join a backcountry tour.

There are so many winter variables which can increase or decrease you margin for error, you just have to be smart at the time.

(I would not poo poo a guided tour, depending on the level of the tour, I am sure you can find one to get yourself out of your comfort level. )

Last edited by verticaldoug; 08-16-2024 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 05:21 AM
slower than you

Way back in '89 I skied in Jackson Hole for the first time, and we did a snowmobile guided tour from the south entrance to Old Faithful to watch it spew and back. We rode the snow packed road. It was the winter after the massive fire that burned a lot of the park, so that was interesting, black sticks in snow. Don't know if anyone was staying in the old lodge next to Old Faithful, but that would be kind of miserable, with a few hundred smelly and loud snowmobiles showing up for their box lunches. Didn't see any other activity going on, but, it's a big park. I have driven south from Big Sky/Bozeman to Driggs, Idaho a few times in winter, and that takes you through the park on a major road for the area, and there are pull offs that cross/back country skiers can use, so you might want to consider entering from that direction. West Yellowstone is a HUGE snowmobile destination resort area, so, there's lodging there, but, tons of snowmobiles. They are loud and obnoxious, but, could be a mode of transport (maybe the only one) to get deep in the park, roads only, for further exploration.

That's all I got. Try to visit Teton, too. I think it's prettier. I've seen pictures of people skinning across frozen Jackson lake towards Mt. Moran, and that looks spectacular.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:12 AM

I haven't done it, but my buddy did a guided tour two years ago and couldn't stop talking about it afterwards I can ask him for the name of the company they went with if you would like.
Old 08-16-2024, 11:23 AM

We went two winters ago.
We flew into Bozeman and spent a few days just outside the park in Gardner near Mammoth Springs and then stayed at Old Faithful for 3 nights.
It is a spectacular area and I would only go in the winter as we need the solitude to really enjoy it.
We are cross country skiers. The terrain is moderately challenging but beware the altitude if you are not used to it.
We mostly skied our own routes but one day we sprung for a guided tour. They take you in a snow coach to areas you couldn’t otherwise access. It’s expensive but you get a guide, a driver and the snow coach for the day. You get to ski point to point on great trails and the coach driver meets you at the end of the trail.
One day we skied to Lone Star geyser and encountered 2 people the entire ski. We happened to get there just before the eruption and had it all to ourselves.
It’s a once in a lifetime trip well worth doing.
PM if you want further details. I’m happy to share.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:08 PM

We did it in the late 80's when it was just getting going. Stayed at Mammoth I believe. Yes snow coached to different start points. Amazing to say the least. Cruising down hill and needing to stop for herd buffalo crossing the track. Steam pots, frozen water falls. Did do one guided tour out of Cooke City, needed climbing skins (provided) got into some high country snow fields where he taught us tele. Unfortunately, half the town burnt down following summer. Personally, I would do this with some light metal edge skis. Also Mammoth at the time heating was quirky, upper floors hot, so we moved further down. Enjoyed NY eve party there. Memories...