Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2024, 10:16 AM

Regular bibs and mesh base layers + one of the two options below:

For low intensity: waterproof jacket, thin wool gloves covered with dishwashing gloves, and waterproof pants that actually cover the collar of winter shoes or the top of waterproof shoe covers.

For higher intensity: might swap the gloves for neoprene or ditch them entirely if the temp is closer to 50-55. I’ll swap out the pants with thin waterproof shorts and will use some legwarmers that are water repellent.

This is highly individual but the key for me is to keep my upper legs warm, hence the waterproof cover of pants or shorts.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:10 PM

I ride and train in whatever the weather is. I don't own a (good) trainer and have never used Zwift or any of those platforms. That ends up being 400-500km (12-15h) a week through winter, so I feel somewhat qualified to answer this!

Chest

Chest I will either use a Rapha PT Rain Gilet or Rapha PT Race Cape (don't make these anymore). Both are cut close to the body, waterproof and packable.

I find being packable is pretty important, as often you'll take it off for an uphill effort and then put back on to avoid road spray on the way back down.

Arms and Legs

Arms and legs, I use Castelli Nanoflex arm, leg and knee warmers. These are resistant to water and don't soak through unless its really bad.

Feet

Feet almost need a whole post because I find them to be the most critical piece of the puzzle for enjoying riding in the rain. Velotoze have a new silicone shoe cover with buttons that are much more robust and easy to get on than previous incarnations.

It is really important with velotoze that they 'seal' against your skin. That means not wearing them with a full length bib or leg warmer, and rather using a knee warmer that has a small gap. If you do use a full length under the velotoze, you get a capillary action and water will just head into your sock.

But if you wear them just with a bib short or with a knee warmer, you will have 100% dry feet after the worst rainy rides you can imagine.

I also struggle with Chillblains which means I try and keep my feet warm. For me, most of the time this means wearing Velotoze with a thicker sock (like Attaquer Winter socks), or if its dry I wear thicker socks with Castelli Diluvio booties.

Hands

Hands I haven't yet worked out, I just can't seem to find a solution that keeps my hands warm in really cold temperatures. I do have some Velotoze gloves that are neoprene with a waterproof membrane outer which do keep your hands dry, but not particularly warm.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:32 PM

Swrve Milwaukee jacket

Best bad weather jacket I ever had was the Swrve Milwaukee jacket. Rainproof, windproof, pit zips... Really well thought out and of course they stopped making them a few years ago. I haven't found another jacket as good.