Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2024, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Tell us what you know about that policy and what it might cost.
Lots of options out there. When high end bikes are the price of cars it makes sense to insure it outside of your household policy.

https://velosurance.com/
Old 08-14-2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Need to check with the airline again and read the fine print. Usually, there isn't much coverage for bikes in soft-sided bags, but better double check. I know a lot of the airlines stipulate the bicycle must be in a hard-sided case to have any coverage.

What kind of bag did he use? Was it packed full of loose gear? My bike bag gets packed with just the bike and everything attached to itself with velcro straps, noting loose for TSA to pack incorrectly. Check with this credit card for travel insurance also.
Your friend needs to be persistent and keep trying.

The reality is airlines and TSA also face a mountain of frivolous claims and first defense is just to say 'NO, SOL'

I tend to doubt the bike was damaged while TSA was packing it and was damaged in shipping.

And I wouldn't blame some poor baggage handler or TSA employee, I think the poor employee is under the gun for 'productivity, and if they spend too much time packing the bike, they get dinged. '

I'd first try responding to the letter from the airline claiming it is TSA and rebut this by claiming that it was the airline who damaged it while shipping.

I'd budget about 6 mo to get this resolved.