Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2024, 11:15 AM

Import duty on groupsets

I have been reading that there is a 12% import duty on bike components over $800.
Does this apply to group sets? Has anybody had this happen?

thanks
Old 07-20-2024, 01:13 PM

I’ve had it go both ways. Was just over $800 on mechanical dura ace shifters/brakes and some odds and ends, got hit with $150 from UPS. Included customs and processing fee. Almost made it more worthwhile buying in the US. Almost.

I’ve purchased a wheelset and didn’t get hit with any fees. I honestly don’t think there’s any rhyme with or reason to it. But make purchases expecting to get hit with fees imho.
Old 07-20-2024, 02:49 PM

Agree that it’s a roll of the dice. Thinking back, I’ve not been charged duty maybe 60% of the time (on purchases>$800).
That being said, when buying groupset-type components from the german discount retailers, I’ve divided the purchase into 2 smaller orders to keep them under $800.
Old 07-20-2024, 02:57 PM

Yeah it's a roll of the dice.

I noticed one place in Italy offers to split groups up if you want. I don't know if the shipping costs go up.

Back when I was side hustling selling stuff everyday I dug into the Harmonized tariff schedule to see if I could learn anything that would help me. I learned it's confusing and understanding it better didn't change much. Keep it under the limit is the best advice. But even when there was no way I could do that, say a frame purchase, the amounts I've been charged over the years don't add up according to the rules but if I'm buying something expensive from overseas I just factor in the possibility of an additional charge before I hit buy.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:12 PM

I am looking at an Ultegra Di2 group set.
I think it is actually cheaper to buy the components individually because there are deals to be had on them.
I don’t really want to deal with international shipping and possible duty on a large purchase.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:15 PM

Yeah, and a lot of the time it's not that the duty is that much, it's that the carrier charges a crazy "processing fee" to handle it. I'd much have them just hit me up for the actual duty when they deliver vs them charging so much money to essentially do nothing.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:22 PM

I was hit w/ 11% on a frameset once - it was usps so they only charged and extra 5-6 dollars and I was able to challenge it and get the 11% back because I was able to prove I was using the frame to commute to/from work. It took a long time and it was in 2012, can't remember the details, but there are some weird exceptions.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:35 PM

I recently ordered a GRX groupset from Merlin. It was around $900 I think and I got charged about $150 for import duties.
Old 07-20-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I think it is actually cheaper to buy the components individually because there are deals to be had on them.
I don’t really want to deal with international shipping and possible duty on a large purchase.
I got hit with like $300 on Ultegra Di2. But like everyone else says it's hit or miss. It's also been hit or miss for me as to whether Amazon or Merlin is cheaper, so keep that in mind.
Old 07-20-2024, 05:57 PM

I've never been charged duty when the carrier was DHL. Take this data point for what it's worth: basically nothing, because as others have said, it's probably just a roll of the dice.
Old 07-20-2024, 06:13 PM

I buy Campy groups from a US website. The price is good enough & they have never been without the specs I wanted on crank length, chain rings, cassette etc. As I recall there was no tax charged. $150 savings. They do not sell Shimano.
Old 07-20-2024, 06:15 PM

What site?
Old 07-20-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrainin View Post
What site?
https://velomine.com/collections/campagnolo-groupsets
Old 07-20-2024, 11:38 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Like others have said it’s always a dice roll, your best bet is splitting into two or three purchases but then you get hit with multiple shipping charges. I’ve had good luck with Gambacicli and shipping is fast.

I’m holding a NIB mostly complete (no rotors, chain and a cassette that was used for one ride) 12s Ultegra Di2 disc groupset. Let me know if you’re interested.

Tags
buy buy buy, conspicuous consumption