Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
And.....Conti makes car tires

Sworn off
I had conti performance tires on a very spirited car. pushed them for a few months and then got rid of them as soon as possible. They were slippery starting out and drifty in corners, very similar to how the 5000's felt.
Old 09-05-2023, 05:05 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurk700 View Post
Honestly I heard this from bunch of people and NEVER, EVER experienced it on any of my conti tires over the years. Tubeless, Clincher, Tubular, variety of widths. (Including the countless GP5000 variations I've used since their introduction)

I'm convinced it's storage conditions issue and not a production one.
Before I got them? If after, why are the older GP4000 on the bike next to the one hanging with the TL still fine?
Old 09-05-2023, 05:08 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
^^ This

Also, common problem with the folks on this forum is the multiple bike quiver where bikes/wheels/tires don't get ridden as frequently. Good problem to have, but the maintenance burden goes up as well.

GP5000S TR user here, fast and reliable IMO
I sound like a broken record. The 2 year older GP4000s on the bike next to the one with the TLs... forget it.

MODS; Please close this Conti Causality Loop

Last edited by robt57; 09-05-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 05:14 PM

That kind of tire degradation could be as simple and as varried as something you rode through one day. Without highly controled enviromental conditions the two tire comparison means little to nothing. Can understand your frustration, however your criticism based on one set of tires is highly subjective, instinctive and non factual.

What do you clean your bikes with?

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-05-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:26 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
What do you clean your bikes with?
The same thing for all of them including the GP4000s tires I keep saying are minty, older etc.

I guess I coulda drove thru something chemical without noticing. Not much is impossible. The tread portion that meet the road is fine, it is the shoulders. But if what ever may have got on them got ridden off the centers and stayed on the shoulders, that could make some sense I suppose.

I have winter wiped tires with vinegar, but not those. The bike they are on is a fair weather only bike.

Last edited by robt57; 09-05-2023 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
The same thing for all of them including the GP4000s tires I keep saying are minty, older etc.

I guess I coulda drove thru something chemical without noticing. Not much is impossible. The tread portion that meet the road is fine, it is the shoulders. But if what ever may have got on them got ridden off the centers and stayed on the shoulders, that could make some sense I suppose.

I have winter wiped tires with vinegar, but not those. The bike they are on is a fair weather only bike.
Honestly, all my bike tires - Continental, Schwalbe, Michelin, Specialized, on my mountain bike, road bike or gravel bike do this, if not ridden. I think your GP4000's are the strange ones...
Old 05-23-2024, 03:40 PM

Just found this thread during a search. I've been wondering the same thing, whether the Conti 5000TL dry rot quicker than other tires.

I have some on a wheelset that sat for a year...and they are fully cracking to the point where I'm concerned regarding their safety.

One was made in '21 and the other in late '19. The funny thing is I have Gravel & MTB tires that are older, stored in the same conditions that are totally fine. I have an old set of unmounted GP4000 II, that I can't find the date code, and those have less cracking than the GP5000TL.

I wonder whether the tubeless sealant increases rubber degradation, or just that I shouldn't expect these race tires to go over 2 yrs.

I've also always had the random casing string come off the tires which has been a problem for all the conti's I've ridden since college (25+ years ago).

Guess I just need to ride more miles to wear out rather than time out tires.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:50 PM
Vendor

The only Contis I've ridden have been the new tubeless hookless compatible GP5000's and I thought they were pretty great.

Tires are just such a crapshoot: I once got 6000 miles out of a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's (don't try this at home kids; they were paper thin when I replaced 'em), no punctures or anything. Finally decided to stop pushing my luck and replaced 'em. Shredded the rear on my first ride, in the first 20 miles.
Poop like this happens all the time.

Might be a coincidence, but I've noticed a trend toward better durability and manufacturing consistency all around (aesthetics and construction) on tires ordered from non-gray market sources (brick and mortar and websites that aren't consistently selling at 40%+ discounts).
Old 05-23-2024, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahyow View Post
Just found this thread during a search. I've been wondering the same thing, whether the Conti 5000TL dry rot quicker than other tires.

I have some on a wheelset that sat for a year...and they are fully cracking to the point where I'm concerned regarding their safety.

One was made in '21 and the other in late '19. The funny thing is I have Gravel & MTB tires that are older, stored in the same conditions that are totally fine. I have an old set of unmounted GP4000 II, that I can't find the date code, and those have less cracking than the GP5000TL.

I wonder whether the tubeless sealant increases rubber degradation, or just that I shouldn't expect these race tires to go over 2 yrs.

I've also always had the random casing string come off the tires which has been a problem for all the conti's I've ridden since college (25+ years ago).

Guess I just need to ride more miles to wear out rather than time out tires.
I had accelerated 'rot' with Michelin Pro4 Endurances. happened with multiple sets. Great tires... until they weren't
Old 05-23-2024, 10:34 PM

Question

Since when is two years for tires old?
Old 05-24-2024, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Since when is two years for tires old?
When you don't ride them.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:16 AM

A lot of people use Continental car tires at the track. I don't personally, but the reviews are good.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
When you don't ride them.
Doesn't it depend on storage? If the settings aren't overly humid (mold risk) or overly dry/hot, then I'm not sure why tire rubber would go bad so quickly.

Would I use a 2 year old tire if I was putting them on wheels ridden in the world tour? nahhh. But for the average rider, I doubt the performance degradation is going to make any meaningful or measurable difference.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I wonder how much tire aging occurs in the supply chain. I've had "brand new" tires that were over a year old before I purchased them from the retailer, and there are probably some even older sitting around before the end user receives them. Who knows what environmental conditions they subject during shipping/warehousing?
A good deal, I suspect. I recently purchased a pair of Veloflex tires from an online retailer that presumably sells a lot of tires and has a good rate of inventory turnover. One had a 10/2022 date code and the other a 12/2023 date code.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:11 PM

Count me as another who has used 4000 and 5000 model clincher, and now 5000 tubeless, never had any issues regarding wear or failures of any kind. Only thing I really kind of hate about them is how hard they are to put on!

Oh, I also raced for years on Conti Competition tubuars, never any issues.