Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 04:22 PM

Donate Or Sell Collection Of Vintage Parts / Frames?

After a few decades of collecting Campagnolo C Record era parts and bicycles, trying to figure out the best thing to do with them. Lots of groupsets of Delta brakes or Cobalto brakes, or enclosed-pulley derailleurs. Beautiful parts that still sell for a pretty high price on eBay.
On one hand, I could spend a lot of time listing the bins of parts on eBay, or here on this forum. On the other hand, try to find a local non-profit that could sell them after I give them as a donation.

So, around New York Metro area, any donation suggestions? Any other thoughts / inputs would be appreciated! Thanks in advance for your collective "Paceline" knowledge!
Old 05-23-2024, 04:28 PM

If you sell on ebay you will have tax consequences, mentioning if you weren't aware.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:29 PM

I respect you intentions, however if donated you need to find someone with knowledge of what your donating and the ability to turn it over for a profit or your donation would often create more cost than benefit.

The ability to find someone with value knowledge of high end vintage bicycle components is shrinking fast!
Old 05-23-2024, 04:30 PM

Post some pics of what you have.

I would give the forum members here first service.

If you are not inclined to reap the profits, you can always donate the profitability to your charity of choice as use it as a tax deduction.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:33 PM

This is interesting! Honestly, very few (if any) non-profits are going to have the knowledge of vintage C Record stuff to effectively sell the parts and maximize the return to their organization. Perhaps a better way is to find an educated buyer that resells stuff like this (there are a couple of them here on the forum) that would be interested in purchasing the entire lot for a mutually agreed upon price. You could then donate the $$$ to your non-profit of choice or purchase the latest, 3D printed, disc-brake equipped, electronic-shifted, carbon, aero 650b gravel bike with the proceeds.

Just a suggestion.

Texbike
Old 05-23-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteVelo View Post
Post some pics of what you have.

I would give the forum members here first service.

If you are not inclined to reap the profits, you can always donate the profitability to your charity of choice as use it as a tax deduction.
Sounds kind of self sighted, however might be a good plan, you could always donate the funds to your local non-profit.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:35 PM

I wouldn’t think a co-op would be the best means of disposal for that kind of stuff. I know recently a set of Delta brakes sat here for a while but C-Record bits generally aren’t that hard to sell, especially if you’re not asking eBay prices.

I sold a C record group including wheels last year for I think $800 and the guy seemed happy to get it at that price.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:39 PM

Ugh... I feel you.

I've started to come around to the fact that I'm really just "renting" all of my stuff; I buy it, use it, but can't ever get what I put into it back.

If there's real money in it and it's a finite amount of stuff, I'd probably give it a go and try to sell it on at a loss. I'd also consider posting it up for free and just seeing it go to a good home.

Donating a whole lot of stuff to the bike coop is an unknown... maybe they love it, maybe it's a hassle.

But... I do say keep the momentum going on the clean-out... It's a decent feeling to move what you don't use along.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:40 PM

You could join the BikeForums "classic and vintage" section. They have a $5 fee to join their "for sale" section. Then offer it as a lot.

As I get older, I find it more and more onerous to try to sell (and ship) things individually. It ends up taking a lot of time.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:45 PM

You know how I feel about this, but I think you'd be crazy not to sell them. There are no non-profits in the city that will properly sell them and most will just end up in volunteers personal collections (from my own personal coop experience). It's well worth taking the time to photograph and document them correctly, or find someone who will help you. Selling online in own or two massive waves is easiest. For anyone curious, OP has a SERIOUSLY amazing collection of vintage campy, NOS.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Sounds kind of self sighted, however might be a good plan, you could always donate the funds to your local non-profit.
Onboard with that.

Let's see some pics.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:57 PM

Sounds like there are some things of value in your stash. It all depends on if monetizing everything is worth it or maybe sell the whole stash. I tend to have a soft spot for anything bike related, but it definitely turns into a labor of love to get the stuff in the right hands!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
You could join the BikeForums "classic and vintage" section. They have a $5 fee to join their "for sale" section. Then offer it as a lot.

As I get older, I find it more and more onerous to try to sell (and ship) things individually. It ends up taking a lot of time.
Yep. I have quite a lot of miscellaneous components and clothing that I don't use but packing and shipping from either of my nearest Post Offices is usually a lengthy activity. There are so many ways to mail a package and letter that our typical PO customer needs to have all the options and extras explained before they consider what they want to do, fill out forms if they want insurance or notification of delivery, etc.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Yep. I have quite a lot of miscellaneous components and clothing that I don't use but packing and shipping from either of my nearest Post Offices is usually a lengthy activity. There are so many ways to mail a package and letter that our typical PO customer needs to have all the options and extras explained before they consider what they want to do, fill out forms if they want insurance or notification of delivery, etc.
Or just use pirateship print a label and be on your way.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:47 PM
ZhugeLiang

Hill pal has a story to tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I got a call from my old boss yesterday about a bunch of bikes that were sitting in a dilapidating home with a couple of pictures. Looks like about 35-50 bikes ranging from a prewar Ivers and Johnson, early Hetchins all the way to up to early 90's Raleigh SP1000.

A few interesting bikes in the lot along with a bunch of early cannondales, a couple of Bianchis, a Follis, Frejus, some old 531 Dawes touring bikes and a bunch of other stuff. Most of these bikes are not particularly anything special, but most are in pretty good shape for sitting in a house for the past 20-30 years untouched.

I plan on going through everything in the next week or so. More bikes than I have room for, so will be moving a bunch of them along once I get them inventoried and sized!

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=290390