Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2024, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Any advantage over extended zip ties or just another product to purchase?
Zip tie worked for me.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Good to know. Thanks. What BB did you use? I’m looking at Wheels Mfg thread together. Hoping these will work ok.
https://wheelsmfg.com/386evo-abec-3-...nks-black.html

I found these Red crankset with 46T for a good price as well. I figure this will be a good match for the 10-46 XPLR rear. Should be plenty for road and steep gravel climbs.
https://planetcyclery.com/sram-crank...waAu_iEALw_wcB
That ratio wouldnt work for me but maybe we have different definitions of steep. 42-50 gets me most everywhere I need to go. Currently have 40-50 and don’t notice much difference yet but new to it. It was a deal so I got it otherwise would’ve gotten 42.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Good to know. Thanks. What BB did you use? I’m looking at Wheels Mfg thread together. Hoping these will work ok.
https://wheelsmfg.com/386evo-abec-3-...nks-black.html

I found these Red crankset with 46T for a good price as well. I figure this will be a good match for the 10-46 XPLR rear. Should be plenty for road and steep gravel climbs.
https://planetcyclery.com/sram-crank...waAu_iEALw_wcB
My example of the Upper had a well made BB386 shell, so I started with a Chris King press in BB for a bb386 crankset, then later a Wheels MFG thread together. Both worked great and creak free

As for gearing choices, I think the 46t chainring is just about the largest you can get for a 1x system as any bigger will have little chainstay clearance, which combined with the chainstay flex could get hairy. And SRAM doesn’t make an XPLR 10-46 casssette yet, only 10-44 and 11-44 as far as I’m aware. E13 has a 9-46, garbaruk a 10-48, and shimano 10-45.
Would maybe consider a 42t chainring for help on the lower end, which will cost you on the high end a bit.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:46 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
My example of the Upper had a well made BB386 shell, so I started with a Chris King press in BB for a bb386 crankset, then later a Wheels MFG thread together. Both worked great and creak free

As for gearing choices, I think the 46t chainring is just about the largest you can get for a 1x system as any bigger will have little chainstay clearance, which combined with the chainstay flex could get hairy. And SRAM doesn’t make an XPLR 10-46 casssette yet, only 10-44 and 11-44 as far as I’m aware. E13 has a 9-46, garbaruk a 10-48, and shimano 10-45.
Would maybe consider a 42t chainring for help on the lower end, which will cost you on the high end a bit.
My mistake. I just looked and it’s a 10-44. I think 46-44 will work. If not, I’ll order up a Wolftooth 44t when it’s available.

Wheels BB has been ordered. I need to pick out tires. And the wait for the wheels to come in about a month or so.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:02 PM

I've had an UP for about 6 years - I think you're going to love it for the type of riding you describe! I'm just chiming in to say I've been running a thread-together Wheels MFG bottom bracket. It's been creak-free and super smooth for several thousand miles. I did have creaking problems with a couple of Sram press fit models before I went to the Wheels Mfg model.