Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM

And to answer the original questions, I had this made. A machine shop used the dimensions from the supplied tow hook to create the post/bar that threads into the port. They made the bars for me and I installed the Yakima BOA myself. The first time I installed the bars I made a mark on them to indicate my starting position and tightened them into the car and then installed the BOA mount. This way I can thread them in and out exactly the same way each time without ever having to adjust the BOA mount. Quick install and removal for sure.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Administrator

very slick system C50. i didnt realize some cars came with dual tow hook locations in the rear. its a good option to have.

cool car too!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 AM

check this thread

scroll down a ways, as of 4-6-17, the stainless BRZ one was for sale:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...19346&page=711
Old 02-20-2018, 04:09 PM

What car do you have?
I design and build tow hook mounted racks for Touareg and Cayenne:

Last edited by kroads; 02-20-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: adding one more picture
Old 05-19-2024, 12:51 PM
Two wheels good

I want to put a rack on my GTI but I really don't want to have a tow point hanging down. I was thinking about getting a "Stealth Hitch" mounted but between the hitch, the install, and then the rack it is about $1500-$2000 for something that I'll only use a few times a year. So I was thinking that it would be cool if someone made a rack that I could just screw into the tow recovery eyelet in the bumper cover. I Googled it to see if anything is out there and it is pretty funny that a link popped up to an old Paceline thread.

Bummer that my GTI doesn't have two tow points in the rear bumper cover like the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ have.

I love my small car and can fit my road or gravel bike inside if I pop off a wheel but the MTB is a no-go.
I thought about a SeaSucker but I read they don't play so well with sunroofs (and I don't want something pulling on my sunroof at speed that might make it rattle later).

Last edited by avalonracing; 05-19-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I want to put a rack on my GTI but I really don't want to have a tow point hanging down. I was thinking about getting a "Stealth Hitch" mounted but between the hitch, the install, and then the rack it is about $1500-$2000 for something that I'll only use a few times a year. So I was thinking that it would be cool if someone made a rack that I could just screw into the tow recovery eyelet in the bumper cover. I Googled it to see if anything is out there and it is pretty funny that a link popped up to an old Paceline thread.

Bummer that my GTI doesn't have two tow points in the rear bumper cover like the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ have.

I love my small car and can fit my road or gravel bike inside if I pop off a wheel but the MTB is a no-go.
I thought about a SeaSucker but I read they don't play so well with sunroofs (and I don't want something pulling on my sunroof at speed that might make it rattle later).
The version of SeaSucker that is for hatchbacks and something other situations doesn’t work for your use case? I think that is the one my buddy uses on his car with a sunroof instead of the regular SeaSucker. Although his rear window situation may be different than yours.

Last edited by htwoopup; 05-19-2024 at 09:25 PM.