Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post

Phone-I already checked with my carrier and will forego the international calling and just use email to communicate. I'm essentially working on this trip and "on duty" dawn to dusk filling a looong shoot request list from the owner.

Language - I've already got Google Translate loaded in my phone
I'd still consider an e-sim for the internet when you aren't on someone's wifi. It's cheap and makes life very easy.

Good for Google translate. You'll never need it
Old 05-17-2024, 07:11 PM

Tipping is optional and can be charged to ur CC. Servers usually come around with the CC machines, u just let them know how much tip to add. They don't expect tips but I usually put at least 10%
Old 05-18-2024, 04:50 AM

One more thing…. Make sure your credit card will be usable in Portugal. You may have geographic restrictions as a fraud prevention measure and may have to unlock those restrictions. It’d be best if you can just make Portugal or any other planned destinations your unlocked zones. Not sure if that’s possible.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:00 AM
50 bpm

Looking forward to seeing your pictures, Dave. Portugal is on our 2026 radar.

And I expect to see your outfits match that bike!
Old 05-18-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Also check what the deal is with your phone--we used to (as a matter of course) buy a cheap prepaid SIM, but last trip to Italy we found out that the phone we had could not use a Euro SIM. Lot of people on the forum are Apple peeps, so I have no idea how roaming (etc) is handled.
Make sure your phone is "unlocked" that should make it real easy to grab/use a SIM card at a Vodaphone
Old 05-18-2024, 12:47 PM
v a n i l l a

I used Portugal Internet for hotspot. Easy pickup and drop off at airport.
Calling I used WhatsApp. I had no need for local calling.

Taking Tram 28 in Lisbon is fun. Pro tip: go to the end of the line and ride it back to the start. No lines
Old 05-18-2024, 09:01 PM

Lisbon is very hilly, as mentioned. So if riding it helps to take the commuter line out of the city center and start in place less hectic. Sintra is beautiful. So is the national forest nearby. Also cross the Tagus by boat and start your ride there.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:04 AM

Portugal's on my list for next year - I'm planning a cycling trip around The Algarve. I'm eager to hear about your trip and all the amazing things you experience there! Here's an internet resource that could be helpful: https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism...ate-guide-5600. Safe travels and have a fantastic time, @BumbleBeeDave!
Old 05-23-2024, 04:21 AM

Dave,
I moved to Lisbon in September. I would use your local bank and just pull out a small amount of Euro - maybe 100. You can use your Visa here and the cards usually have the best conversion rates. Press 2 after you swipe to get charged in Euro, and 2 again to confirm you don't want them to do the conversion (it's usually 4% or so, and the conversion isn't great to begin with. You'll find a couple random places that don't accept card, and a couple that only accept a Portuguese credit card. Please never use the word 'cheap' - it's hot subject here with low salaries and the cost of housing and food skyrocketing the last couple of years.

In terms of tipping, it's not common here - and you only see it in the touristy areas and restaurants in Lisbon. There are only 2 restaurants in my area that ask for it.

Riding in Lisbon is a little weird at first, but the Portuguese give you a ton of room when riding streets without shoulders, etc. The bike lanes have gotten much better here as well. Honking doesn't happen here very often, so even if you're in the middle of the street going up a steep hill, the cars behind will just slowly follow you up.

I lived in Brazil for 3 years and it was tough navigating without speaking Portuguese, but I would say most people speak English in Lisbon. Outside, hard to say but French was replaced with English about 30 years ago as a secondary language in schools from what someone told me. I never verified that.

Portugal is VERY low crime, but there are pickpockets in Lisbon, so just be aware. Drop me a PM if you have some time in Lisbon to waste!
Old 05-23-2024, 06:24 AM

Make sure to ride the Subida à Glória: an iconic tram hill. It's 265 meters @ 17% and the site of an annual hill climb. I rode my bike from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon in 3 days. I had an Airbnb in the neighborhood above and accidentally finished up this road. Tourists broke out in raucous applause as I crested the summit by accident. The taxi driver I asked directions from was saying something but I didn't full understand until I hit the climb. It was a brutal finish to 650 kilometers mostly off-road riding the Portuguese Camino de Santiago in reverse!

If you've seen the series 100 Foot Wave, Nazaré is pretty close. If you're in Coimbra, four words: Zé Manel dos Ossos
Old 05-23-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Please never use the word 'cheap' - it's hot subject here with low salaries and the cost of housing and food skyrocketing the last couple of years.

In terms of tipping, it's not common here - and you only see it in the touristy areas and restaurants in Lisbon. There are only 2 restaurants in my area that ask for it.
I can confirm this. I've been going to PT frequently for the last 5 years and prices have skyrocketed while wages have remained flat. Last time I was there last December, this was all the locals were talking about. There was particular frustration towards Americans (esp digital nomads) flaunting their money; The locals HATE that Americans tip and felt that it was starting to spread or be expected.

For riding, Portugal some incredible gravel (more like dirt) riding and many ancient paths. Lisbon is one of the oldest human settlements in Europe. However unless you're riding the waterfront or laps of Liberdade, I would avoid riding in Lisbon proper. It's extremely hilly and bikes are rare, tho ebikes are (sadly) becoming a thing. The roads and sidewalks often are very narrow and winding. The drivers are good but locals will pass you very close as they're well accustomed to driving in tight quarters. Sintra is much better for riding, but packed with Tourists. I saw several continental teams training out there. I really liked riding on Teceria in the Azores, but that's another post.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:18 PM

Would love to go riding there one day. We toured around the schist villages northeast of Lisbon a couple hours away (traditional villages built from schist stone material, animal herding lifestyle); it was beautiful hilly area that would be great for riding--didn't see many riders but maybe it was because we were there during weekdays. Roads were well paved.

Must do:
Drink as many 0.70 euro espressos as possible--standard price outside of the city. The locals complained that it was over 1 euro in Lisbon (the big city)

Eat as many natas (egg custard) as possible--but only the freshly made ones. Mmmm...