Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Assuming you mean home owners, despite the retail cost of some of my bikes, I can’t imagine making a claim against that policy. After the deductible, their payout would be a small fraction of the retail price - I can’t imagine it’s worth it.
Replacement value provides the funds to purchase a *new* equivalent bike, no depreciation taken off.

So...buy a 1990 Colnago Master with Campy Record for $1200. It gets stolen.

What's the price for a 2024 Colnago Master with Record? Maybe $10K

With a $500 deductible, you get a check for $9500.

I can't imagine not making *that* claim.

(of course, the insurance company *may* source the bike for you via a wholesale channel...but it still would be a new Colnago...)

When we put in claims after water damage years ago, we just provided photos (where possible) and invoices for the replacement items. No problems.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 05-17-2024, 12:40 PM

For me, renters insurance was clutch when my wife's bike was stolen. As previous posters have stated it was super important that our policy covered replacement cost not the depreciated value of the bike. The bike stolen was a nice but not too nice single speed I think we paid $750 and got $550 after the deductible and I was happy with that. Most of my bikes are much more expensive than that and I feel well covered. Secondly, I used to work on 53rd Street in midtown Manhattan I rode my Niner RLT with Ultegra to work for 4 years and used the super heavy-duty Kryptonite lock. I had zero issues while several coworkers with lesser locks had bikes stolen. My theory is at least in NYC most bike theft is a crime of opportunity. A theif see a bike they can pop the lock on in 30 seconds they go for it. The Kryptonite is not unbreakable but bike theaves are lazy dicks.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Replacement value provides the funds to purchase a *new* equivalent bike, no depreciation taken off.

So...buy a 1990 Colnago Master with Campy Record for $1200. It gets stolen.

What's the price for a 2024 Colnago Master with Record? Maybe $10K

With a $500 deductible, you get a check for $9500.

I can't imagine not making *that* claim.

(of course, the insurance company *may* source the bike for you via a wholesale channel...but it still would be a new Colnago...)

When we put in claims after water damage years ago, we just provided photos (where possible) and invoices for the replacement items. No problems.
It was more like $5000 but I had this exactly same thing happen with a bike destroyed while it was mounted on the car. It worked out really well.

Water damage now we seem to have a $2000 deductible.. but it wasn't $2000 back when the bike got destroyed for that particular claim.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Depends on your insurance coverage. A nice older steel bike might bring a windfall for a replacement value claim.

I commuted on a Cannondale T800 with Campy triple for a while. I was fortunate that I had access to a rack in a garage below the building...in a nice office park (Waltham, MA), where there were no worries about theft.

That building specifically barred bikes from being brought inside.

In a prior life, my bike was parked in my office.
When I lived in Boston, MGH had a 'bike cage' where you had to get keycard access and you could lock your bike inside it. I didn't always lock it in there, but it was a fantastic option for a small fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Invest in TWO very heavy duty locks....maybe one of them a chain. Bikes stolen are the ones most easily stolen. Obviously some might get targeted but in much smaller numbers. Don't lock it in the same place every day.
I currently have a U lock and a cable. Don't use the cable often, but would definitely do it if I was locking up something nicer.

I've talked to friends that will leave a second lock locked up in the spot they leave their bike at work so they'll have 2 locks at work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Where in philly will it be locked up? Maaaybe Roxborough or Chestnut Hill hospital would be fine overnight but any other hospital in the city, I wouldn't keep a bike outside overnight. Hospital security won't care if your bike is getting stolen. Chop/HUP/Jefferson all have garages...can you keep it in there?

Maybe call some of the garages nearby and see if they do bike parking for a fee? Even then I'd lock the **** out of it but at least you know there are eyes/cameras/gates around it.

To answer your question, i've locked up my unassuming fixie with 2 locks (u lock to rack and another ulock with steel cable woven around all the parts) outside for a few hours at night while in the bars. So, maybe $400 bike.
I think there is a garage that has bike racks in it. I probably wouldn't use it during the day, but need to see what access is like overnight because it would definitely be a good spot for overnight!
Old 05-18-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
When I lived in Boston, MGH had a 'bike cage' where you had to get keycard access and you could lock your bike inside it. I didn't always lock it in there, but it was a fantastic option for a small fee.

I currently have a U lock and a cable. Don't use the cable often, but would definitely do it if I was locking up something nicer.

I've talked to friends that will leave a second lock locked up in the spot they leave their bike at work so they'll have 2 locks at work!

I think there is a garage that has bike racks in it. I probably wouldn't use it during the day, but need to see what access is like overnight because it would definitely be a good spot for overnight!
Yep

Leaving a lock at "work" is common as to not have to carry. I always suggest a shot of Try-Flow or dry lube on occasion to keep things from seizing.

It's a shame how many people I sell bikes to in Chicago that are replacements.