Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2024, 12:45 PM

In praise of s11 Assos equipe rs

I begrudgingly picked up a $280 pair of Assos recently. I’ve had quality issues with the last few pairs from the same and other lines but I’ve still yet to find anything that fits so nicely after trying on a few different brands at the shop.

EQUIPE RS SCHTRADIVARI BIB SHORTS S11

This pair, if they last, will be my new favorites. They are extremely lightweight and feel and look like they are painted on. Great compression, too!
Old 05-13-2024, 03:33 PM

I have a lot of Assos. But lightness and durability tend to be inversely correlated.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:51 PM

I do agree. The pad is thinner (it’s also softer and remains so after washing so far) than some of their models I have and they have further reduced the stitching and additional materials throughout such as raw finishing with grippers only in the rear - they don’t move on me at all once on - so that all adds up to a lighter bib.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:47 AM

Can you comment on sizing with the Schtradivari S11s?

I think I'm a tweener between a regular Medium and Small Long-Leg.

Assos sizing guide says Small
I'm usually a Medium in Castelli/Sportful/Q.365/etc

I had a pair of Assos S7 T.equipe bibs in Medium that, while pretty comfortable, were less compressive feeling and the leg-length was typically "Assos short."

Thanks
Old 05-14-2024, 11:57 AM

I wear the same size large in all Assos and large in Castelli, too. I got the regular length and find them a typical length compared to other Assos and other brands.

This particular model has more compression than some Assos lines but I find it similar to their race line over the years.

That probably doesn’t help much. I buy them locally only so I can try them on first. I’m lucky to have a shop nearby, though, with their entire line well stocked.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:57 PM

I remember reading how in the past, the seat was the source of padding/support and not the pant/bib side. Then came the rise of the chamois and the Elastic Interface empire.

The extreme end of lightness would be presumably to go back to that end of the spectrum--unpadded pants. I wonder if there's been any serious attempts to go that route (3D printing, custom molded saddles to the Nth level...beyond what we have now.)
Old 05-14-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspam View Post
I remember reading how in the past, the seat was the source of padding/support and not the pant/bib side. Then came the rise of the chamois and the Elastic Interface empire.

The extreme end of lightness would be presumably to go back to that end of the spectrum--unpadded pants. I wonder if there's been any serious attempts to go that route (3D printing, custom molded saddles to the Nth level...beyond what we have now.)
I personally don’t need much padding at all but do feel the difference from bibs to just riding in casual shorts but am comfortable on my saddle then, too. It’s mostly the friction that gets me with baggy pants or seams. I ride on a minimally padded saddle (Fizik Antares 00) and have previously been happy on an all carbon saddle. For me a good chamois reduces friction, conforms nicely to the body and stays out of the way. I own a pair of gravel-marketed bibs (pockets) from Assos and they are very thick and add no value, imo, and are less comfortable compared to the race line with a pad about half as thick.