Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2024, 10:37 AM

OT: Advice on lodging for a couple days in Reykjavik?

Howdy Folks, thinking of taking the famjam to Reykjavik for a couple of days on our way to the Netherlands. As you have probably heard, Iceland is not an inexpensive place. I’m particularly interested in hearing from someone who has stayed close to the downtown and didn’t have to sell a kidney to afford a room. Where did you stay, and what did you like/not like about the accommodations? Also, any must sees?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Howdy Folks, thinking of taking the famjam to Reykjavik for a couple of days on our way to the Netherlands. As you have probably heard, Iceland is not an inexpensive place. I’m particularly interested in hearing from someone who has stayed close to the downtown and didn’t have to sell a kidney to afford a room. Where did you stay, and what did you like/not like about the accommodations? Also, any must sees?

Thanks!
I did Air BnB and it was walking distance from core downtown
Here's the name of the host via Air BnB. Þorsteinn Daði
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 8.45.42 AM.jpg (76.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-13-2024, 11:02 AM

We went about ~7 years ago in January and stayed in the city center. It was an Airbnb - small condo, walkable to the main areas in town, and with easy on-street parking.

I can't find the listing, but the address was 55 Grettisgata, two blocks west of Snorrabraut. I'd stay to the west of Snorrabraut if you want to walk to dinner and the sites.

I don't remember the housing being as expensive as Airbnb is showing today. Food and drink was the killer.

As far as what to do... the city center is pretty small, you can hit the highlights in a day. The Golden Circle (ring of common sites, accessible by car or tour) is another day. Add additional days for other trips.

We snorkeled in Silfra - that was something different. Especially in January.

I'd love to go back sometime and do the full ring road and some side trips.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:53 PM

Stayed at Natura, just outside of downtown, near the airport. A pleasant walk into the city center, plus busses for when we were tired.

Make sure to hit up the public pools near Hallgrimskirkja, plus pastries from Braud & Co nearby.