Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 05:55 PM

I have one here that I picked up while working in a shop last season. I like it as a commuter, but still prefer my standard analog bikes. I wouldn't hesitate to ride one of the nicer ones mentioned if/when I age out of or become physically unable to ride a regular bike.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2024, 06:25 PM
Are you thinking....

Get one

I'm 63 and 30 years ago there were hard days, long days and easy recovery days. Now, they're all hard days. On my Specialized Levo I get a workout, I just go faster. A 7.5 mile MTB ride on my local loop used to take me an hour and 15 minutes on my hardtail. And that was 15 years ago. On my Turbo Levo, I did a 12.5 mile loop in the same time two days ago working hard and using 'turbo' a lot. Average HR of 143. It allows me to have easy days again too.

I'm still on an analog road bike, but that may change soon as well.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:02 PM

I think e-bikes are great and they can help keep you riding at an older age, but, that said, you gotta know when to hang it up. There's a guy in my group that has failing eyesight and balance. He's taken slow speed falls a few times in the last three months (that I've personally witnessed) and he's had some close calls almost running into some of us. Basically, he shouldn't be riding.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:54 PM

Skitch does not have a throttle. It is not a moped.
But even if it were, as long as you are obeying your city's rules for bike paths etc., why would it matter even if one was riding a "moped".

To the OP: Get a bike that will allow you to keep riding, follow the city's rules for bike/ebike/emoped rules, and keep those miles coming. The Skitch looks like a great one to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Careful mentioning the Rouvida or the Skitch here or this thread will veer off into 20 pages about how they are actually mopeds.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:16 AM

picked up a velotric T1 for wifey last summer

significantly less expensive than the big names.

now we ride together and we both get our fair share of exercise -- honestly, when she dials up the assist she kids my head in but good!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=298468

Last edited by wallymann; 03-31-2024 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:31 AM

Because of my health issues, I purchased an Orbea Gain two years ago and have been glad to have it. It has helped me to continue cycling, and now that I know my diagnosis, POTS, with underlying autoimmune issues, it has become instrumental in my recovery. It has helped me get back on my analog bikes as long as I stay away from the hills. I’m 68, and hope to return to analog only someday, but I just have to understand that the ebike might be my future.
Cheers
Old 03-31-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
Because of my health issues, I purchased an Orbea Gain two years ago and have been glad to have it. It has helped me to continue cycling, and now that I know my diagnosis, POTS, with underlying autoimmune issues, it has become instrumental in my recovery. It has helped me get back on my analog bikes as long as I stay away from the hills. I’m 68, and hope to return to analog only someday, but I just have to understand that the ebike might be my future.
Cheers
Huge like, +1, and all of that.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I think e-bikes are great and they can help keep you riding at an older age, but, that said, you gotta know when to hang it up. There's a guy in my group that has failing eyesight and balance. He's taken slow speed falls a few times in the last three months (that I've personally witnessed) and he's had some close calls almost running into some of us. Basically, he shouldn't be riding.
Some beautiful trikes out there worth looking at.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Some beautiful trikes out there worth looking at.
That only addresses one of the two problems, but good idea.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:41 PM

I rode my next door neighbours Norco commuter yesterday - it was a few sizes too small for me, but it was amazing!

His was on sale for $3000US - it seemed very nice quality, though heavy)

I don’t want one (yet), but I want one for my wife.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Agree. I have a friend who is an excellent rider. He's like 67 years old, 130lbs and climbs like a goat. He's also really competitive But, he's been crashing a lot lately. He says when riding with a group, he's focused and able to push the pace.

However, when he rides by himself, he's unfocused and basically daydreams on the bike?! In the past year or so, he has crashed like 3x causing physical injury. The dude is currently off the bike and just now, after a few months, is able to drive again. Several of us said he needs to get checked out by a doctor and one guy suggested he get seen by a neurologist. Not good riding and daydreaming....an e-bike would not help him in this case.

Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2024, 03:52 PM

We live next to the Coast to Coast Florida Trail (C2C Trail...250 miles) which has many branches going in several directions. It's mostly flat or near flat, slightly rolling hills, near our home, and easy to ride on a regular bike. But my wife has had both knees replaced, and her class 1 E bike has been wonderful for her. I'm not quite ready yet, but see no problem with riding one. And no longer am able or have the desire to ride fast. (and also don't want to risk a fall in a group...brittle bones and all} Where we live, I would much prefer the Class 1 with E assist only. Lighter also. I see lots of out of town, out of state, and even out of country doing this ride on E bikes now. With extra battery. My wife's class 1 with easily go 60-70 miles on a charge at her speeds. I think you will know when you need one. They do make riding easier.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:13 PM

Also....while I prefer the balance of my wife's mid motor VS my daughter's hub drive....I mostly only notice it if I'm loading onto a bike rack. Don't notice much difference just riding along on a paved trail. For most riders who use these bikes for non-performance riding, I think the motor location is made too big a deal. But what I do notice is how quickly the mid motor bike wears out the chain vs the hub motor bike. For just grocery getter type use or cruising on a nice trail, hub motor OK for me. And I have both in my garage. Both have their place. Point is....while I prefer the ride of the mid motor bike, I don't think rear hub motor E bike necessarily bad. Especially if loaded down with racks, gear, and you.