Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
That sounds insufficient. My shop removed the chainrings to do the inspection, the visible delamination wouldn't have been visible with the chainrings on.
Yeah that is what I thought and seen online.
I'll try a different shop see if its turn out better.

In reality both of my cranks look great, but I have not taken the rings off. Had them on the bike that has permanently been deemed the trainer queen. Would gladly take a new D/A from Shimano.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I got my check about six weeks after my new crank. You’ll know it’s happening because the shop forwards you an email from Shimano which requires you to verify mailing info. Then Shimano sends you an email that it’s been processed. Then you get a check in the mail and have to buy the shop some beer (optional, but hey it’s Christmas).

You definitely have to send the non drive side in. That’s what failed for me. Grab the chainrings before sending if they are in good shape.
Thanks, we'll see how quickly my check comes. I got the bike back with new crank 2 weeks ago. I have ridden it a couple times since then and the creak that I would sometimes hear on the drive side downstroke on heavy torque is GONE. So I would say that the pre-liminary delamination the LBS found was correct. My chainrings were fine but also had 12,000 miles on them so I don't mind that they're gone.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvivr6 View Post
Yeah that is what I thought and seen online.
I'll try a different shop see if its turn out better.

In reality both of my cranks look great, but I have not taken the rings off. Had them on the bike that has permanently been deemed the trainer queen. Would gladly take a new D/A from Shimano.
Even if your cranks look good, and don't show any obvious signs of failure, there's still a chance that they have corrosion at the ends of the spider arms or insufficient epoxy in some of those bonds that could lead to failure.

Like peanut, I'd be skeptical of 9000 cranks at this point. Every set of them that I've sent in has been replaced by Shimano.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:11 AM

Just got my replacements but, oh no! Looks like my Absolute Black oval 46/30 chainrings are not gonna fit

SPP
Old 12-17-2023, 09:04 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
Even if your cranks look good, and don't show any obvious signs of failure, there's still a chance that they have corrosion at the ends of the spider arms or insufficient epoxy in some of those bonds that could lead to failure.

Like peanut, I'd be skeptical of 9000 cranks at this point. Every set of them that I've sent in has been replaced by Shimano.
Again, such a bummer as mine look as good as new (despite 20K miles) and they look so good on my Ti bike.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:58 AM

I got my 8000 and 6800 cranksets back from the LBS. They were good to go.... The 6800 set is beat up from gravel rides, but I guess no corrosion or de-bonding was found. The 8000 has low miles in mostly single digit humidity rides.
Old 12-17-2023, 05:38 PM

They were "inspected" by the LBS or did they send them back to Shimano? Glad they finally found the time

There's no way I would put one of these things back on a customer's bike. I can't believe shops are putting these things back in the hands of customer. All the cranks in question are suspect as a result sweat, rain, humidity and solvents

If they get failed at the shop level Shimano is replacing...no questions asked. Why mess around

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I got my 8000 and 6800 cranksets back from the LBS. They were good to go.... The 6800 set is beat up from gravel rides, but I guess no corrosion or de-bonding was found. The 8000 has low miles in mostly single digit humidity rides.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:10 PM

So if a set of cranks were passed by one shop, can they be sent back by another shop as failed and get replaced? Asking for a friend.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:26 PM

I don't think so. Even on a "pass" shops are required to fill out a form on-line that includes the crank serial number. If you really think that there is an issue have a shop contact Shimano to see if they can be sent in for further evaluation.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Riding Along

So what happens to a crank that was returned to a customer because at the time there was no sign of failure when it fails a year or two from now? Is it a tough luck situation for the customer? What is the liability to Shimano if there is an associated injury resulting from the failure. It seems like magical thinking to assume that failures will be ending anytime soon. Does anyone have a clue what the long term plan is here?
Old 12-17-2023, 11:08 PM

Finding this sort of comical

Shimano decided to not make a carbon crank, since they were the big experts with aluminum. Dura Ace was pro level but hearty enough for the mega mile enthusiast. I suppose you can ride Praxis, SRAM or Campag carbon cranks. I do give them credit for addressing a known issue. Good times.

Last edited by dana_e; 12-17-2023 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
Shimano decided to not make a carbon crank, since they were the big experts with aluminum. Dura Ace was pro level but hearty enough for the mega mile enthusiast. I suppose you can ride Praxis, SRAM or Campag carbon cranks. I do give them credit for addressing a known issue. Good times.
They did make one carbon crankset - the FC7800-C cranks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shimano FC-7800-C Carbon Cranks.jpg (96.7 KB, 191 views)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
They did make one carbon crankset - the FC7800-C cranks.
Weren't these just an aluminum crank with a cosmetic carbon skin on the surface? That is the same as the early FSA "carbon" cranks.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
So what happens to a crank that was returned to a customer because at the time there was no sign of failure when it fails a year or two from now? Is it a tough luck situation for the customer? What is the liability to Shimano if there is an associated injury resulting from the failure. It seems like magical thinking to assume that failures will be ending anytime soon. Does anyone have a clue what the long term plan is here?
For this very question, my plan is to not take mine in until they look like they are going to fail.

Plan on keeping my eye on them and cleaning them well from time to time to check for cracks and bonding issues.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Weren't these just an aluminum crank with a cosmetic carbon skin on the surface? That is the same as the early FSA "carbon" cranks.
Urban myth.

Spider has an aluminum core and the pedal thread is an insert.