Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2023, 10:04 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
No good deed goes unpunished.
that's just a sad way to look at life.. unfortunately there are examples to justify this saying, but sad none the less.. I try and see the good in folks and assume most people want to do the right thing.. seems to have mostly worked out for me so far..
Old 03-11-2023, 10:24 PM

Fortunately, you haven't worked retail, so you aren't jaded. If so, than your view of humanity lowers

Trust me, lots of tools out there. If there's a return policy..."they" will push it

Interesting study in humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
that's just a sad way to look at life.. unfortunately there are examples to justify this saying, but sad none the less.. I try and see the good in folks and assume most people want to do the right thing.. seems to have mostly worked out for me so far..
Old 03-11-2023, 10:28 PM

Reminds me of a post Josh at Silca make here in Paceline.
Telling us that people would return Silca chain oil with some other liquid inside it for a refund. He mentioned other egregious examples as well. Not sure how much of this happens but it was eye opening.

It surely would be a lesson in humanity to be a package "opener" for the Amazon returned goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Fortunately, you haven't worked retail. If so, than your view of humanity lowers

Trust me, lots of tools out there. If there's a return policy..."they" will push it

Old 03-11-2023, 10:33 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
The item sold for $395 plus $10 shipping. The buyer paid $427.28 due to $22.28 in sales tax in his state. How much do I lose if I let him return it?
Isn't the eBay fee like 15%?
Can the buyer return the shifters and you credit them $345?
You aren't exactly making much off the mistake, but there is a loss in opportunity to have sold them in the meantime to someone who wouldn't return them.
Just worth keeping in mind.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:57 PM

He went to Kollege with a good friend of mine, good dude

No matter what policy you put out there for returns, someone will always attempt to stretch the rule as it is laid out. I have 14 days on full retail, 7 days on sale items and no returns on 40% or more. It's spelled out in braille

You'd be befuddled as to what folks attempt to return and when. It is comedy gold

Amazon and REI screw it up for everyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Reminds me of a post Josh at Silca make here in Paceline.
Telling us that people would return Silca chain oil with some other liquid inside it for a refund. He mentioned other egregious examples as well. Not sure how much of this happens but it was eye opening.

It surely would be a lesson in humanity to be a package "opener" for the Amazon returned goods.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Just got this message on a new set of ST-R8020 shifters:

“Thanks for quick shipment. Is it possible to initiate a return? The levers and hoods are way too big. I’m happy to eat any listing costs and shipment.”

Will eBay make me accept a return based on the buyer being unhappy with what he bought? The listing states Seller does not accept returns.

"Levers and hoods are way too big." Huh? I smell a scam, like the buyer is a Nigerian prince who has a template response usually used for clothing.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:43 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Fortunately, you haven't worked retail, so you aren't jaded. If so, than your view of humanity lowers

I've worked a few retail jobs along with being in the military for 30 yrs.. worked for a while at Performance shop where the Performance policy is to take just about anything back as a return.. so I've seem a few shady folks..

BUT, I still refuse to just flatly believe the majority of people will alway try and pull one over on you.. they are certainly out there, but those the ones we hear about the loudest (similar to bad internet reviews vs good reviews)..

I will leave you with this quote from one of my past small group leaders:
"People want justice for others, and forgiveness for themselves"

Let that sink in for a minute and how that mindset colors our way of how we see others sometimes..
Old 03-12-2023, 12:04 AM

There's a lot of self righteous tools, you would be surprised. Most customers don't attempt to return things, but a handful of those that do...oh, boy. Fun times

Quote:
I've worked a few retail jobs along with being in the military for 30 yrs.. worked for a while at Performance shop where the Performance policy is to take just about anything back as a return.. so I've seem a few shady folks..

BUT, I still refuse to just flatly believe the majority of people will alway try and pull one over on you.. they are certainly out there, but those the ones we hear about the loudest (similar to bad internet reviews vs good reviews)..

I will leave you with this quote from one of my past small group leaders:
"People want justice for others, and forgiveness for themselves"

Let that sink in for a minute and how that mindset colors our way of how we see others sometimes..
Old 03-12-2023, 01:05 AM

Quote:
If that’s working for you, keep it up then!

It’s selling stuff on eBay- not a moral dilemma. Sheesh.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:35 AM

I've had this happen a time or two. The buyer is being nice but you can be firm and nice too.

I'd just say something like: "Hey, sorry they didn't work for you. I am a hobbyist who sells occasionally and list my items as No Returns as long as I sent you what you ordered. I offer my items at the lowest price and best deal possible and as a result cannot accept returns. I hope you can find use for the shifters and if not, feel free to reuse my photos to resell them."

Most likely, they'll understand and go away.

You run the risk of a negative feedback which is their prerogative.

You might run the risk of them opening up a return request anyway and using the ironclad "Item Not as Described" option. I think you have a very good case with eBay at this point that they are abusing the system due to the message you have in writing that they simply had buyers remorse.

I personally would not accept the return. The reason is bogus. Hydro shifters are going to be huge. They all are. Get a shorter reach bar to compensate.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:54 AM

Does the seller have the opportunity to inspect the returned item before authorizing a refund?

If not, then it seems like the buyer enjoys all the benefits and more of Ebay's return policies, but the seller is getting the short end on his end, in terms of "protections".

In other words, will the seller be able to reverse the return transaction by saying "not as shipped"?
Old 03-12-2023, 05:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
If I were you, I would accept the return. Especially if the buyer isn't fighting you over any fees and shipping.

You never know when the buyer might change his story to "item not as described" and then eBay would probably make you accept the return and eat all the costs.

Plus, think of it as a small bit of Goodwill to this buyer.

Bake it into the cost of doing business. I know it's annoying, but as a seller on eBay, nine times out of 10 you will be better off giving the buyer whatever he wants instead of challenging it.
Agree. The buyer isn't being a turd and these are probably easy to sell. Plus the guy will cover the fees and shipping..Good karma. No reason to be 'one of those sellers'...
Old 03-12-2023, 05:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

I guess but after my almost 25 years in retail, including as an owner, I don't see that glass as do 'empty'. Yes, I had my share of 'tools' but by and large, vast majority were 'good buyers'. YMMV and all that but again, new set of shifters, let the person send 'em back. IMHO.
Quote:
There's a lot of self righteous tools, you would be surprised. Most customers don't attempt to return things, but a handful of those that do...oh, boy. Fun times
Is it a 'lot' or a 'handful'? I've had 3 or 4..Bought a Zeal pump, comes in a box, returned it but broken, cheap pump in the box...Hash marks on a set of bibs, returned. Stinky jersey..returned..
Only took a return on one custom frame(Waterford) cuz the guy 'just didn't like it'...so yup, it happens but I didn't let it color my view of 'humanity'...one way ticket to being pissed off all the time and a daily look at an escape, from retail.

YMMV and all that...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-12-2023 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:03 AM

Cheaper for the buyer to relist the product as you described and sell them w/o returning them.

I just picked up a jersey that was excited to get, it was too small. Now my wife has an oversize jersey...

You have texts that he clearly stated it was is personal choice, not condition so if you get binged, you have clear challenge.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:20 AM
Vendor

Why can't the buyer just re-sell them? Simple.

The buyer re-sells them it's one transaction, one shipment and one associated risk. You take them back and then sell them again, it's two transactions, two shipments and two associated risks.

Last edited by rain dogs; 03-12-2023 at 06:25 AM.