Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2022, 01:24 PM

Shut Up!...........

....Disc brakes.
Are your disc brakes annoying you or fellow riders. One solution is to use a Green Scotchbrite pad with alcohol. This will take care of 99% of brake noise problems. And it's probably just sitting on a shelf somewhere around your house already, practically free. Another great product the will completely silence that nasty screeching, chirping, scrapping, or other noises you may have is "Screech Out". Cost only a few dollars, but goes a long way. Can be found at your LBS or online. and works very effectively. Make sure you are careful to follow the instructions exactly as you will lose braking power until the cleaning process is complete.

2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6
Old 08-28-2022, 03:50 PM

When Jens Voigt said "Shut up legs!," was that before road bikes with disc brakes?
Old 08-28-2022, 07:33 PM

Since I struggled with this, a few practical notes:

1) When working on disc brakes, always always always remove the wheel with clean hands or gloves and move away from the bike.
2) Always always always remove the pads with clean hands or gloves and move away from the bike.
3) After working, wash your hands or change gloves prior to reinstalling pads or touching anything near rotors.
4) Never touch the rotors with dirty hands.

Rotors can be cleaned of oil, but pads not so easily and it doesn't take much to corrupt a set of pads via transfer from the rotor.

ScreechOut works great if you are patient and follow directions exactly to cure minor sins. I used some on Friday because I didn't follow rule #1 above.

Humidity can cause temporary screech and there's nothing you can do about it except change pad compounds, I would imagine.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:48 PM

I apply grease liberally to the rotor and pads. Everything is incredibly quiet after that and I go much faster.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post

1) When working on disc brakes, always always always remove the wheel with clean hands or gloves and move away from the bike.
2) Always always always remove the pads with clean hands or gloves and move away from the bike.
3) After working, wash your hands or change gloves prior to reinstalling pads or touching anything near rotors.

Rotors can be cleaned of oil, but pads not so easily and it doesn't take much to corrupt a set of pads via transfer from the rotor.

ScreechOut works great if you are patient and follow directions exactly to cure minor sins. I used some on Friday because I didn't follow rule #1 above.

Humidity can cause temporary screech and there's nothing you can do about it except change pad compounds, I would imagine.
That sounds really quite fussy, if only there wasn't a simpler way to slow your bike.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I apply grease liberally to the rotor and pads. Everything is incredibly quiet after that and I go much faster.
Grease is for Freds. Homebrew -Mobile 1 mixed with white gas- on the pads and wax on the rotors. My brakes are quieter than a mouse fart, stop on a dime, and stay super clean.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post

Sound like your brakes may have COVID Are they vacinated?

Old 08-28-2022, 10:23 PM

Seriously though, you need to be "surgically clean" to prevent contamination

Old 08-29-2022, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
That sounds really quite fussy, if only there wasn't a simpler way to slow your bike.
Tee Hee...Needs to be in the tubeless and chain lube section...
Old 08-29-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
As if the system you dream about didn't have screeching problems and wears out the very thing that you are trying to stop. Yeah, your system was 100% trouble free.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:34 AM

Shut Up!...........

I’ve saved the following IG posts from a pro mech:

- Shaving down pads (not braking material, but backing plates): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc_54XZB...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

- Routine maintenance: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg4Gel5B...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

- Pad bedding and checking for rotor thickness: https://www.instagram.com/p/Chde7wXh...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2022, 11:36 AM

Spray a generous amount of WD-40 directly on pads, calipers, and rotors.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Made me laugh out loud!! Reminded me of the old Phil Hendrie talk show when he had a "guest" recommended everyone should grease their car tire treads before a rainstorm
Old 08-29-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
And this is where my mind went--the article from this weekend about a Detroit metal slide that got a little too enthusiastically waxed when it reopened after Covid:

"Riders Catch a Little Too Much Air on a Detroit Slide
The Giant Slide in Belle Isle Park was briefly closed because it was sending children airborne. “The waxing was a little robust,” a state parks official said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/26/u...smid=share-url

Tags
disc brakes, noise, quiet