Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
I’ve had at least one set of ELs that came brand new with big sidewall leaks - I started one of the many RH complaint threads about it. Swore off ELs after this and another sidewall blow up on the road. Sounds like this happens with the Standard casing as well. These tires just don’t work very well as tubeless tires, considering their cost.

The Endurance casing seems to work really consistently as a tubeless tire, but it loses the Jan Heine Magic (tm) suppleness.
My concern was that it was from an abrasion and thus a structural thing that could fail. Now I cant find the location so it must be minor. But it did lose air overnight. Not as much but still a concern. These may be too finicky for me for tubeless. Very difficult to mount even with compressor. In the tire's defense, this may be the same tire that blew off the rim once when lbs mounted it (in the car on the way home in fact). May have been due to overinflation but RH does not recommend using a tire tubeless that has blown off the rim. It is a disconcertingly loose fit on the rim.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrtool View Post
So, I first started using tubeless 10-22-2020. Both front and rear were Panaracer Gk 38's. I replaced the rear in May '21...never flatted just cuts were too big to reseal. I replaced the rear with the Barlow Pass endurance which had about 3K miles on it...so far so good. I actually like my tires to be inflated to 75 psi..I'll ride them for a couple of weeks till they get to be around 50 psi. ymmv
Ray

Last edited by lorenbike; 11-02-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren090 View Post

I'm not really meaning to disparage companies or specific tires, but in my opinion again I sort of feel like road/gravel under a certain rim/tire width tubeless is inherently flawed. For reference, I (and others I've ridden with) rarely have any of these sort of issues on mtn bike tires ranging from standard xc to 29+ wheels.
It may be more about pressure. The fit at the rim/tire bead interface is important for any tubeless, but probably more critical at higher pressures. This, and the lack of industry standards which makes it impossible to get precise fits for different rim and tire combinations, hence the YMMV results.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrtool View Post
So, I first started using tubeless 10-22-2020. Both front and rear were Panaracer Gk 38's. I replaced the rear in May '21...never flatted just cuts were too big to reseal. I replaced the rear with the Barlow Pass endurance which had about 3K miles on it...so far so good. I actually like my tires to be inflated to 75 psi..I'll ride them for a couple of weeks till they get to be around 50 psi. ymmv
Ray
Yikes.

75 psi in a 38 mm tire? Talk about rock hard. What do you weigh?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Yikes.

75 psi in a 38 mm tire? Talk about rock hard. What do you weigh?
No kidding that is so far beyond the pressures I ride with that size tire. Didn’t even think they could go that high safely.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
No kidding that is so far beyond the pressures I ride with that size tire. Didn’t even think they could go that high safely.
Not that 75psi is probably the right pressure, but easy to understand how this occurs. For example, below is the Conti chart for their Top Contact tire. RH indicates that 75psi is the Max for their Barlow Pass tire for tubes (60psi for tubeless).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ContiTopContact.jpg (48.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-05-2021, 09:05 AM
aka mbrt

I weigh 170/175...I just like the feeling of the tires at that pressure. I have Enve 3.4 SES wheels.

Ray
Old 07-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Randomhead

I usually run less than 40 psi in my GK SK 38mm tires and 40 just seems like the max I would ever run. If you run much more, expect problems. I certainly would discount any problems someone had at 75psi with any tire that size.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:39 AM

GravelKing 38s are recommended only to go up to 60psi tubeless. A lot of tubeless rims that aren't specifically "road tubeless" don't support pressures higher than that. Definitely risking blowing off the rim at that pressure.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:57 AM

I tried to install Jon Bon Pass Extralights on Shamal Carbons, and had to give up and sell the tires. Tried with a compressor and tie down strap, but no help.

I have installed tubeless tires for 15 years, and after getting used to relatively easy installs, this one felt like going back to 2006 and trying to get Liteskin Racing Ralphs seated on Mavic XC717’s. I can also get a fat bike tire seated with the same compressor and tie down strap setup quite easily.

For comparison, Michelin Power Gravels can be installed on Shamal Carbons with just a track pump.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I think the only thing holding the tire on is the hooked rim.
Before I knew about the rim pressure charts a few years ago, I pumped it to the tire specs. Lesson learned after Rambler blew off my hookless rim.

https://www.enve.com/learn/tire-pressure/
Old 07-05-2021, 02:34 PM

My favorite combo is Bon Jon xtralight @ 40 psi front and Terravail Rampart in 38c @ 40 psi rear. Bon Jon Xtralight wears too fast as a rear tire, Rampart is much more durable. Wheels are enve M5 hookless, and I add sealant to Bon Jon once a month. It takes time to set Bon Jons - I had to lay the wheels flat for a day, and then all was great.

Tags
snake oil, too good to be true