Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 02-03-2021, 05:58 PM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

Colnago EPS - From AKRD (Red) to MTBK (Raw Carbon)

Updated June 2021

Since building this and racing it, I decided the frame was a keeper but paintwork was a little too rough. It'd certainly been ridden and the paint wasn't the most robust, I'd chipped it myself by looking at it!

I noticed a few hairline cracks around a dropout and the brake bridge. I wasn't convinced they were structural as it was very thick white paint, but it was a good excuse to send it off to a carbon repairer and painter to tidy up any issues and 'repaint'.

I'd fallen in love with the EPS in MTBK (matte raw carbon) but they seem to be rare, so why not just go that direction? A part of me felt a bit uneasy about messing with a Colnago's paintwork, but at the same time I never fell in love with this particular paint scheme and it was in good-from-far-but-far-from-good condition... so no guilt felt on my part!

As it turned out the cracks were just in the paint and not structural, and the frame itself was solid when sanded back to raw carbon.

I'm over the moon with the result, while I probably could have purchased a MTBK cheaper I probably would be waiting a long time for one to appear. Resale isn't too big an issue as I hope to never sell it.

Initial Build Story January 2021

Unfortunately my Time proved a little too small, so the frameset went on the chopping block and was sold promptly.

The intention of that particular bike was to build something up that was light enough to race, while being cool, while being relatively inexpensive.

I went on a bit of a hunt, scouring every imaginable marketplace for Look 585's, bigger Time's, Parlee Z's and of course lugged Colnago's.

Found this one in Italy, the price was right and surprisingly the shipping from Italy to Australia is very cheap (and fast). It's in neat condition... not a 'minter' like my EP - there are signs of use, but not abuse.

The colour didn't initially set my world on fire, but as with a lot of 'Nago paint it looks better in person. I love the subtle tricolour as well as the hints of gold, really spices it up.

Anyway, pictures.

Frameset as it came

Quick test fit of the key bits to make sure I didn't have any issues

First built

Spec

Frame: 2010 Colnago EPS - 52S AKRD
Fork: Colnago EPS / C75
Stem: Deda Superleggero 100mm
Bar: Zipp Service Course SL70 380mm
Shifter: Campagnolo Record11 (2015+)
Deraileurs: Campagnolo Record11 (2015+)
Brakes: Campagnolo Record Skeleton
Crankset: Campagnolo Record SRM, 53/39
Chain: Shimano DA9100
Cassette: Shimano DA9100 11-28
Wheels: Enve 2.2
Skewers: Enve
Tyres: Conti GP5000s
Saddle: S-Works Power
Tape: Fabric Hex
Cages: Arundel Mandible
Pedals: Shimano DA9100

After going back to raw - raw process starts page 3

It's hard to capture the look at a 'macro' level when 'zoomed out' in a photo, but the close ups give an idea of how cool it looks in person.

First Test Fit

Fully built

Last edited by jimmy-moots; 07-05-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:48 PM

Sorry to hear your Time didn't work out. That was a really sweet bike.
New build looks great so far. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the differences between the EPS and the extreme power.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:56 PM
PegPinaNagos

I am very excited to see this get put together. What's the frame size?
Old 02-03-2021, 07:22 PM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
Sorry to hear your Time didn't work out. That was a really sweet bike.
New build looks great so far. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the differences between the EPS and the extreme power.
Yeah I'm excited to see the differences, if any. My instinct is that it will feel similar to the Extreme Power but shave a touch of weight off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I am very excited to see this get put together. What's the frame size?
Yeah me too! It's a 52S, same as the Extreme Power. I can fit a 50/52/54s, just depends on how much stack I want to deal with... 52s I think is the goldilocks 'just right' size though.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:11 PM

Mmmm, mmm. I like that.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:18 PM

Yeah, that subtle tricolore is lovely. Prefer it to the 585, tbh. It was nice, but this is just a bit funner and oh so Euro.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:28 PM

Sweet frame! I love my EPS. (Although I will say... “light enough to race”?! 😜 My EPS is, I think, the heaviest carbon frame I’ve ever weighed in my shop.)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:46 PM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
Sweet frame! I love my EPS. (Although I will say... “light enough to race”?! 😜 My EPS is, I think, the heaviest carbon frame I’ve ever weighed in my shop.)
Ha ha, I have a pretty loose classification of light... anything lighter than my Moots is a win, and that tips the scales at 7.5kg with pedals/cages/garmin mount.

When I weighed the frameset it was around 1.88kg, working backwards on the back of an envelope put the frame weight somewhere around 1100g which should build up for a 7kg build.

Plenty light for my purposes, especially when most are running disc brake'd bikes (and are probably 10-15kg heavier than me to boot).

And despite telling myself that half a kilo of weight savings is more noticeable as I'm a flyweight, a few hundred grams isn't really gonna win a race for me
Old 02-05-2021, 08:22 PM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

More or less built up... need to give that steerer a bit of love but just want to make sure I’ve got the fit spot on

Old 02-05-2021, 11:13 PM
PegPinaNagos

More detailed pics please!!!!
Old 02-06-2021, 06:36 AM

That came together beautifully! For some reason I see a red Deda stem looking fantastic on there and tying in the whole bike.

Enjoy those beautiful miles.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:07 PM

I’m so jealous of the amount of steerer you have there. The previous owner of my 57s cut it hella flush on principle (and then sold it...). Result is, I have to run a 0° stem.

Rad bike! Enjoy it.

ps. The fork won’t really clear a 28c Mavic tire on a 21-internal rim. 😜
Old 02-07-2021, 07:11 AM

Very sharp! Love it
Old 02-07-2021, 05:11 PM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
More detailed pics please!!!!
I'll get some more after I chop the steerer and neaten up the cables - I was lazy with them as I wasn't sure what length stem I'd prefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
I’m so jealous of the amount of steerer you have there. The previous owner of my 57s cut it hella flush on principle (and then sold it...). Result is, I have to run a 0° stem.

Rad bike! Enjoy it.

ps. The fork won’t really clear a 28c Mavic tire on a 21-internal rim.
Yeah it feels a bit scary chopping the steerer given so many people would die to have so much at their disposal!

I rode it this morning and it felt great so the frameset is at least a medium-term keeper, I'll cut a bit off today and leave 10mm above just to give myself some wriggle room for the short term. I can't see myself needing more stack than what I have though... just being cautious.

I've got a conti 25c on the front, it has at least 5mm which feels safe. Rear has a bunch more clearance which surprised me, especially knowing how tight the C59's are.

Last edited by jimmy-moots; 02-07-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:24 AM

Depending on wheel/tire combinations, clearing 28s is definitely possible on the EPS, with some room to spare in the rear especially. It is odd that clearance was reduced after the EPS in the C59/C60.