Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2021, 11:13 AM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
I haven't tried these, but they might be the look you are going for. Modern outboard bearings. Pricy.

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/products/road/ox.html

David

I've been using the OX-601 for several years, Campy Record 10s front shifting. Works well, 46/30 rings, IRD Sub-C front mech.
The OX-6 is cheap version of the OX-9, matte instead of polished.

note the GRX front 10s mech does not play nice with 10s Record shifters.
Mech springs too strong, for the shifters.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 AM

Previous-generation SRAM cranks work great.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I haven't tried these, but they might be the look you are going for. Modern outboard bearings. Pricy.

David
Yes, this is the obvious choice. Polished silver, works as compact (dual 110mm BCD) or sub-compact (110mm/74mm BCD), available in a variety of lengths from 160mm to 175mm, narrow q factor (145mm) but wide bearing stance (works with BBs up to 89mm wide), and fits just about every BB shell out there (68mm BSA, 70m ITA, BB/PF30, BB90, BB386, BBRight, T47 etc.). At $380 (shipping included) it isn't cheap, but it ticks all the boxes.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:51 AM

Curious about the group you plan to put on the bike and what gearing you're looking for. FWIW, Campy Athena cranksets are simply gorgeous. They can be had in PowerTorque and UltraTorque flavors (the later using a superior BB interface but far more difficult to find NOS).
Old 01-28-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
Curious about the group you plan to put on the bike and what gearing you're looking for. FWIW, Campy Athena cranksets are simply gorgeous. They can be had in PowerTorque and UltraTorque flavors (the later using a superior BB interface but far more difficult to find NOS).
And don't forget the silver Potenza cranks (Ultra-Torque), which fit modern 145mm/112mm 4 arm chainrings.

(But the Athena and Potenza cranks can only be used for Compact chainrings, but not Sub-compact chainrings.)
Old 01-28-2021, 12:16 PM

I have taken modern parts, stripped the anodizing and made them look "period correct". This bike would have looked terrible with a four bolt crank, so I used a road spider on a mountain crank, after stripping and 000 steel wool, then acid wash to recreate an 80s finish. I also did this on the stem and many other 2020 parts to look 1985.

I believe this could be done with any crank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koski 2015.jpg (123.8 KB, 206 views)
Old 01-28-2021, 12:31 PM

I'm going with Ultegra FC-6600.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Not exactly what you are asking for but when I want classic silver parts for a steel bike I get classic steel parts.

Usually a few groupsets floating around for sale on here.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=264127

Did this build this summer.

That looks FANTASTIC and is just what I have in mind, at least from a drivetrain perspective.

Part of the problem is that when I look for vintage drivetrains, if you want anything good you'll have to get 52 / 53 as your top gear, and they have large BCDs, so usually you can't do something like a 48/36 or 48/34, they just won't accept it.

If I could get something like a used silver Ultegra 10- speed drivetrain that accepts 48/36 or 48/34 that would be ideal for me. But frankly I have absolutely no idea how to source vintage parts like that, and I've been burned so many times on used gear that's in much poorer shape than advertised (both bikes and music gear), that I prefer buying new just so I know what I'm getting! It's tough out there on the used market...

Thanks for suggestions, all
Old 01-28-2021, 12:52 PM

Record or Chorus 10 speed alloy compact, with TA chainrings
Old 01-28-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:

David
This was my solution a few years back when I shared the OP's same wishlist

Designed for 11 speed drivetrains
Classic (silver) look for a new custom (steel) frame/fork
Subcompact with an easy possibility to change ring sizes
Front shifting performance that rivals Shimano/Campy/Srams current nearly flawless best

Yes, they were pricy but I'm glad I splurged, I even "downgraded" my decisions for other components to hit a total budget point (11sp 105 works great and comes with silver brifter levers that can be polished! ). The crank looks like an expensive bit of bling from Tiffany's (or maybe a Seiko watch!)- the crank is such a big part of the overall look of the bike IMHO. The Sugino hits all the points above. I've since recently bought another set of rings (32/48 replaced with 30/46 because of- well, hills and Covid overeating). Alex Japan, the main source to purchase from the US ships fast and easy, I've gotten several orders in less than a week without any issues. Sugino OX901d + Silver 5800 +Ritchey Classic bar, stem and seatpost = a reasonable priced component package that looks great on a modern steel frame with all the modern performance benefits. (I also spent more than necessary on a set of Paul Racer brakes- really glad I did that too, fantastic performance, classic rim brake and retro/modern silver look)

Edit: I actually ordered the crank a few years ago from Alex/Japan but the new chain rings a couple of months ago were ordered directly from Sugino (prices are about the same from both sources). Both sources were fast and easy ordering (though not cheap!). But I have other bikes for other purposes built from retro parts, the custom Spectrum is the forever bike I'm "married" to, so I swallowed the price and glad I did because it's perfect for this bike, bling and performance.

Last edited by zennmotion; 01-28-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
This was my solution a few years back when I shared the OP's same wishlist

Designed for 11 speed drivetrains
Classic (silver) look for a new custom (steel) frame/fork
Subcompact with an easy possibility to change ring sizes
Front shifting performance that rivals Shimano/Campy/Srams current nearly flawless best

Yes, they were pricy but I'm glad I splurged, I even "downgraded" my decisions for other components to hit a total budget point (11sp 105 works great and comes with silver brifter levers that can be polished! ). The crank looks like an expensive bit of bling from Tiffany's (or maybe a Seiko watch!)- the crank is such a big part of the overall look of the bike IMHO. The Sugino hits all the points above. I've since recently bought another set of rings (32/48 replaced with 30/46 because of- well, hills and Covid overeating). Alex Japan, the main source to purchase from the US ships fast and easy, I've gotten several orders in less than a week without any issues. Sugino OX901d + Silver 5800 +Ritchey Classic bar, stem and seatpost = a reasonable priced component package that looks great on a modern steel frame with all the modern performance benefits. (I also spent more than necessary on a set of Paul Racer brakes- really glad I did that too, fantastic performance, classic rim brake and retro/modern silver look)

Edit: I actually ordered the crank a few years ago from Alex/Japan but the new chain rings a couple of months ago were ordered directly from Sugino (prices are about the same from both sources). Both sources were fast and easy ordering (though not cheap!). But I have other bikes for other purposes built from retro parts, the custom Spectrum is the forever bike I'm "married" to, so I swallowed the price and glad I did because it's perfect for this bike, bling and performance.
Outstanding! This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Frankly, the Sugino seems like a pretty great deal compared to some of the other ultra-spendy options. Will research that in excruciating detail later. This looks pretty much perfect...

I'm also going with rim brakes on my bike, as I pretty much hate disc brakes. All my best-stopping bikes in my life have been centerpulls. I'm getting braze-ons put on. I can't tell from your photo, are yours the braze-on Paul brakes or the center-mount? The Paul and Rene Herse brakes are the same price, and I was thinking of going with the Rene Herse. What is your impression of the difference between the Paul & Rene Herse? I believe the RH are forged while the Pauls are CNC, which leads some to say that the RH are better... But what do I know?
Old 01-28-2021, 01:33 PM

the RH brakes can fit bigger tires, what tire u running? fenders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Outstanding! This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Frankly, the Sugino seems like a pretty great deal compared to some of the other ultra-spendy options. Will research that in excruciating detail later. This looks pretty much perfect...

I'm also going with rim brakes on my bike, as I pretty much hate disc brakes. All my best-stopping bikes in my life have been centerpulls. I'm getting braze-ons put on. I can't tell from your photo, are yours the braze-on Paul brakes or the center-mount? The Paul and Rene Herse brakes are the same price, and I was thinking of going with the Rene Herse. What is your impression of the difference between the Paul & Rene Herse? I believe the RH are forged while the Pauls are CNC, which leads some to say that the RH are better... But what do I know?
Old 01-28-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Record or Chorus 10 speed alloy compact, with TA chainrings
I don't believe there was such a thing. All Record & Chorus compact cranks have been carbon. For aluminum compact cranks, you'll have to go Athena or below.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:40 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
This was my solution a few years back:

Yes, they were pricy but I'm glad I splurged

Pricey, but perfect arguably... IMO anyway...
Old 01-28-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
the RH brakes can fit bigger tires, what tire u running? fenders?
Going to be running 700x38 slicks with fenders, yeah. Is the current plan, as long as the geometry ends up all adding up! Still waiting on confirmation on all that, might have to go down to 700x35.