Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Administrator

OT: Nike Vaporfly 4%

Hi, My name is Nick and I'm a gear junkie.

I've been running in Brooks running shoes since forever, with a few stray others thrown in over the years, but i havent run in Nike shoes since high school.

Anyway, following the NYC marathon, there's been some buzz in the media about potentially limiting shoes for competitive runners, since recent records have been broken, and races won in Nike's new Vaporfly shoes. Apparently they use a curved carbon plate in the sole, which gives some spring action, and (also apparently) they have some testing to document a real increase in running economy.

Since running season is here for me (winter...), i figured "what the hell" and just picked up a pair.

wow. short run today, and these shoes are not like any i have ridden in. the bounce is real.

longer term review to come, and who knows if it's in my head or not, but these shoes really seem to be more efficient than standard trainers.

anyone running in vaporfly's?

Old 11-04-2019, 02:35 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/18/s...fly-shoes.html
Old 11-04-2019, 02:37 PM

I haven't had a chance to try the vaporfly but I do love the Pegasus. I've tried Asics and Mizuno and Adidas my favorite are definitely the nike Pegasus. But this was a couple of years back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2019, 02:58 PM

I wonder if there is a weight limit for the carbon spring, as in many things carbon and lightweight in the bike industry.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:01 PM

I'm not a passionate enough runner/racer to buy them, but I have 3 close friends (2 of 3 have multiple BQ marathons) who SWEAR by them right now. Basically saying the rebound literally springs you forward.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Only problem is if you fall in them, the carbon will get microscopic cracks and then you have to throw them away.

I prefer the old steel core shoes.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:24 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I too have heard nothing but good things from my running friends. However, I feel these will go the same way the synthetic skinsuits went for swimming. Too many WR's get smashed then get banned.

They are on my list to try, but not in November.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Only problem is if you fall in them, the carbon will get microscopic cracks and then you have to throw them away.

I prefer the old steel core shoes.

That pretty much sums up THIS forum....
Old 11-04-2019, 03:37 PM
what's a little rust?

Not a running geek anymore, didn't realize these were used for that sub-2 stunt. Now I think even less of the way they went about that.

But for the average person--heck, yes, if I could still run distance I'd be all over these.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:57 PM

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay (< $250?) and where did you purchase them?
Old 11-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Pondering this now. I need to restock running shoes. Last time I tried Nike was 6+ years back and I had other favorites but I will check them out.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Hi, My name is Nick and I'm a gear junkie.

I've been running in Brooks running shoes since forever, with a few stray others thrown in over the years, but i havent run in Nike shoes since high school.

Anyway, following the NYC marathon, there's been some buzz in the media about potentially limiting shoes for competitive runners, since recent records have been broken, and races won in Nike's new Vaporfly shoes. Apparently they use a curved carbon plate in the sole, which gives some spring action, and (also apparently) they have some testing to document a real increase in running economy.

Since running season is here for me (winter...), i figured "what the hell" and just picked up a pair.

wow. short run today, and these shoes are not like any i have ridden in. the bounce is real.

longer term review to come, and who knows if it's in my head or not, but these shoes really seem to be more efficient than standard trainers.

anyone running in vaporfly's?

Nick

How is the forefoot fit and whats the drop?

I'm interested
Old 11-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

According to my running geeks and NIKE geeks here in Eugene they are the real deal .
Wish I could still run.

Last edited by gasman; 11-04-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: I hate spell check sometimes
Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Nick

How is the forefoot fit and whats the drop?

I'm interested
These are, in general, narrower shoes than i typically wear, but the forefoot fit is quite roomy and the toe box has plenty of room, not constricting at all, though, as mentioned, it's definitely narrower in the arch area than i'm used to, but they do work for me. the way the heel cup is shaped really works too, keeping the back of the foot planted, and not squirming around at all.

Drop is listed @ 10mm.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay (< $250?) and where did you purchase them?
road runner sports.

i was able to stack a few discounts today and had some built up rewards credit there. out the door for about 160 today on these for me.

no doubt, they are expensive.

they are also quite lightweight, with minimal rubber at the bottom to keep the weight down, so i dont expect them to last forever.