Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobslide View Post
I didn't expect a win last night for the Warriors, but taking 6 points off the board coupled with a couple travels on Kawhi and Siakam that weren't called a different game could've happened - all seemed to be rally killers.
Sure, but there were missed calls in the Warriors favor too. A different game could have easily been a bigger Raptors blowout. But now we're into butterfly-effect territory and just speculating.

Absent some massive, obvious, unrecoverable error in the final play or two, (say, calling an obvious 2 a 3), refs really don't affect the outcome of most sports contests.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Sure, but there were missed calls in the Warriors favor too. A different game could have easily been a bigger Raptors blowout. But now we're into butterfly-effect territory and just speculating.

Absent some massive, obvious, unrecoverable error in the final play or two, (say, calling an obvious 2 a 3), refs really don't affect the outcome of most sports contests.
+1.

Probably 4-5 missed calls for the warriors and around the same for the raptors. The difference is the warriors didn’t convert and the raptors did—that’s not really the refs fault.

It’s just a part of the game.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post

I mean, those were pretty obvious misses - but I agree that the loss isn't on the refs. Still, I'd like a game called better.

Re; your second point, I think Kings and Suns fans might have something to say about that.

I'm not a tin foil hat kinda guy, but I don't doubt that the NBA would like this to go 6 or 7.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
+1.

Probably 4-5 missed calls for the warriors and around the same for the raptors. The difference is the warriors didn’t convert and the raptors did—that’s not really the refs fault.

It’s just a part of the game.
Agreed, but taking 6 points off the board is more impactful than a non-call or a ticky tack foul call.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobslide View Post
The two Ibaka goaltends, the basket interference on Bogut, the offensive foul on Cook where he knocked in to Lowry, were all painfully bad misses and at big times.
They did not really matter though. GS was never in the game. I get tired of hearing the announcers try to act like it was a good game and that GS had a chance to come back.

If GS does not get some players back I won't be watching any more. Last night was not enjoyable to watch.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2019, 12:27 PM

I don't know Jacobslide but I'm 100% with him on this.

I tape all of the games so I can watch w/o commercials or the insufferable Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jackson half time commentary. It saves me 90+ minutes per game.

I also have the luxury of rewind and slow motion to see what's really happening because I'm not that fast and not on the court. Humans make mistakes, obviously, and GS does get the benefit of a bad call now and again but more often than not they are getting *reamed*.

Game 2 officiating was an utter mess but GS won despite it. For example, someone please explain how VanVleet pushing off of Curry's chest and then tripping himself spectacularly goes to review for a clear path foul and then comes back as a common foul?

YOU HAVE THE TAPE! It should have been GS ball out of bounds but the referees are too proud to fully reverse.

Lowry's flops, Kawhi's major travel, etc. These things add up and there are a lot of them. Momentum is a thing. Otherwise coaches wouldn't call opportune time outs.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:36 PM

It was going to be a tremendous challenge but to say that GS was never in the game is false.

They were miserably understaffed due to injuries and nearly everything Toronto put up went in but the Warriors closed the gap to seven a few times. That's NOTHING.

The fact that they could do that w/o Klay, Kevin, Kevon in the game at all and several other players essentially not 'showing up'? They fought hard and officiating/momentum killing was not on their side.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
I don't know Jacobslide but I'm 100% with him on this.

I tape all of the games so I can watch w/o commercials or the insufferable Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jackson half time commentary. It saves me 90+ minutes per game.

I also have the luxury of rewind and slow motion to see what's really happening because I'm not that fast and not on the court. Humans make mistakes, obviously, and GS does get the benefit of a bad call now and again but more often than not they are getting *reamed*.

Game 2 officiating was an utter mess but GS won despite it. For example, someone please explain how VanVleet pushing off of Curry's chest and then tripping himself spectacularly goes to review for a clear path foul and then comes back as a common foul?

YOU HAVE THE TAPE! It should have been GS ball out of bounds but the referees are too proud to fully reverse.

Lowry's flops, Kawhi's major travel, etc. These things add up and there are a lot of them. Momentum is a thing. Otherwise coaches wouldn't call opportune time outs.
Since you have the tape, you should watch this closer. Curry's knee hit FVV's foot - he didn't trip himself.

This series is being decided by the players on the court. I'm going to continue enjoying it as such.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:38 PM

In terms of reffing - try being a raptors fan throughout the regular season and even in the playoffs. Lots of missed and bad calls that don't help the raptors out.

I think the biggest thing is that the raptors are so used to it, they can play through it and Kawhi has adjusted to this fact.

It is fun flipping between the Canadian and US coverage of the games to hear different perspectives of what is going on.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:41 PM

Did the refs make Cousins go 1-7 from the floor?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 PM

You should. I will as well.

I did watch it. Consider VV taking a stride and clipping Curry's knee with his foot as it went by.

Athletes running for a *loose ball*. Are you suggesting that while two players were running for a loose ball, Steph targeted FVV's foot with a knee in order to trip him intentionally?

You'd be shocked how many times in the normal and post season I've watched players slip or trip themselves and they get a call because the've fallen. It's pretty funny.

Last edited by bshell; 06-06-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM

So clever, Flash. No they did not. I don't think anyone suggested that.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 PM

I agree that there were missed calls but from where I sit they didn't favour the raps. A big one for me was the offensive foul called on Kawhi when Draymond's heels were clearly in the restricted area. I'm not sure why on that kind of call they can't go to video to decide whether it's an offensive or defensive foul. The foul has been called already anyway.

I will say that if feels strange as a Raptors fan to hear complaints that the Raps are getting the benefit of the whistle.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
You should. I will as well.

I did watch it. Consider VV taking a stride and clipping Curry's knee with his foot as it went by.

Athletes running for a *loose ball*. Are you suggesting that while two players were running for a loose ball, Steph targeted FVV's foot with a knee in order to trip him intentionally?

You'd be shocked how many times in the normal and post season I've watched players slip or trip themselves and they get a call because the've fallen. It's pretty funny.
I’m not suggesting that at all. The contact doesn’t have to be intentional to constitute a foul, it just has to create an advantage.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:54 PM

Watch the tape objectively if you have access. *for raptors guy

ps. your team has been outstanding.

Last edited by bshell; 06-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.