Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2018, 05:16 AM

Sram CX1 crank/chainring compatibility

With so many systems becoming proprietary in nature ...Sram CX1 cranks/are they compatible with other chainrings aka Wolftooth?
Scott
Old 09-27-2018, 07:08 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

To my knowledge, the SRAM CX1 and Force 22 cranksets are the exact same except for cosmetic decals. They also both use the 3 bolt torx spider pictured here, which wolfooth also has direct mount chainrings that plug and play.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:17 AM

As far as I know, all SRAM cranks that feature a removable spider have the same interface, as shown in the above picture. That includes MTN, CX, and road cranks. I'm a big fan of their direct mount standard, and they've been using it for a long time. There are lots of companies making chainrings to mount on them, including Wolf Tooth. Just make sure you get the correct offset chainring, GXP ones are offset 6mm vs. BB30 which have 0mm offset.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info.
Scott
Old 09-27-2018, 08:15 AM

SRAM Red do not have the removable spider, but you should be good on the CX1/Force. Rings will be specified because of the SRAM hidden bolt thing too. Also look at Absolute Black. They have some nice chainring options/direct mount and they have the elliptical ones too.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
As far as I know, all SRAM cranks that feature a removable spider have the same interface, as shown in the above picture. That includes MTN, CX, and road cranks.
Does this mean that one can make a sub-compact road double crank (i.e. MTB sized chainrings on a double crank with a low Q factor) by installing an MTB spider on a road crank? I do some of the hill climb races here in New England (average grades of 10+%, maximum grades over 20%), and a sub-compact crank would come in handy.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:59 AM

Also the standard 110 and 130BCD spiders are compatible with aftermarket chainrings for those BCDs.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Does this mean that one can make a sub-compact road double crank (i.e. MTB sized chainrings on a double crank with a low Q factor) by installing an MTB spider on a road crank? I do some of the hill climb races here in New England (average grades of 10+%, maximum grades over 20%), and a sub-compact crank would come in handy.
I assume that should work, but I'm not positive if the chainline would be identical.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Engin makes a road Q spider using 110/74 BCD for the exact purpose you're looking for: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjX6be7B...by=engincycles

No idea how much they run for. Probably worth contacting him directly.

Tags
sram spider