Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 07:59 AM

CPR: You dont know till it happens

I have been CPR cert'ed for over 40 years now. I always get the most current CPR cert when it come out or expires. My union hall has classes once a year.
Never needed it since I left the service as a medic in the Army Rangers in the 80's.
I was on ride on Sunday 10/13/24 doing my fav local 20 mile loop and spotted a jogger pretty far ahead of me. Just enjoying the ride and when I looked up again no jogger. Found it odd as there was no off routes in that section.
When I got to the place I last seen the jogger I seen him on the ground just off the trail. I stopped to check and no heartbeat or breathing. Scared but knowing what to do I started CPR and called 911. Not sure of exact location I had the 911 operator ping my phone. I stayed on with 911 while doing CPR. I seemed like forever but in reality only 4 to 5 mins when another person riding came by.
She in the medical field took over for another couple mins till ambalence showed up.
He was probably around my age,60ish and in solid shape. We left our contact info with the local police. Have not heard the outcome yet but just hoping it turned out well. Traded contact info with the other person offering help.
You just never know when it happens but when it does I know I am able to offer my help..
Old Today, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Good man. You may have saved life yesterday, but sleep well knowing you did all you could to try.

Everyone should know basic CPR and basic first aid techniques.

I also admit, I would be nervous as hell to actually need to perform CPR in an emergency situation.
Old Today, 08:33 AM

Bravo to you. As Angryscientist said, you may have saved a life and regardless of the outcome you can sleep well knowing that you did what you could.

I too keep up my CPR certification. I've never needed to use it and I hope I never do.
Old Today, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I have been CPR cert'ed for over 40 years now. I always get the most current CPR cert when it come out or expires. My union hall has classes once a year.
Never needed it since I left the service as a medic in the Army Rangers in the 80's.
I was on ride on Sunday 10/13/24 doing my fav local 20 mile loop and spotted a jogger pretty far ahead of me. Just enjoying the ride and when I looked up again no jogger. Found it odd as there was no off routes in that section.
When I got to the place I last seen the jogger I seen him on the ground just off the trail. I stopped to check and no heartbeat or breathing. Scared but knowing what to do I started CPR and called 911. Not sure of exact location I had the 911 operator ping my phone. I stayed on with 911 while doing CPR. I seemed like forever but in reality only 4 to 5 mins when another person riding came by.
She in the medical field took over for another couple mins till ambalence showed up.
He was probably around my age,60ish and in solid shape. We left our contact info with the local police. Have not heard the outcome yet but just hoping it turned out well. Traded contact info with the other person offering help.
You just never know when it happens but when it does I know I am able to offer my help..
I have to keep my CPR current because of my profession. Incredibly valuable skill to have. Well done, and hopefully it yielded good results.
Old Today, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Many useless things taught at school these days.

Robust CPR and first aid, along with practical personal finance would really go a long way to setting kids up for real life.

It is crazy that you can graduate HS knowing how to cut open a frog and trigonometry but not know life saving CPR, basic nutrition information or understand how compound interest works.
Old Today, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
It is crazy that you can graduate HS knowing how to cut open a frog and trigonometry but not know life saving CPR, basic nutrition information or understand how compound interest works.
I don't know about the kids today, but when I was in high school, I had learned about nutrition information and compound interest, but never cut open a frog.
Old Today, 11:26 AM

I did really well dissecting the frog. Nutrition back then was salt tablets when participating in sports (the pre-Gatorade era). My math teacher recommended that I not move on to trigonometry. Years later we both had a good chuckle when I got a BS in Mathematics.

Such is life. So it goes.

In any case, good on the OP.
Old Today, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Many useless things taught at school these days.

Robust CPR and first aid, along with practical personal finance would really go a long way to setting kids up for real life.

I don't think I'm that much younger than you, but CPR was definitely part of my HS curriculum