Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2024, 05:49 PM

Redshift Cruise Control drop bar grips

https://redshiftsports.com/products/...drop-bar-grips

I know this may be heresy here but I installed both the top of bar and drop bar grips yesterday and rode 35 miles today. A couple of things for me is my older hands with some generalized pain from some thumb CMC arthritis and the fact that my drop bars are now mounted really high on an upjutting stem.

The bars being high makes riding the tops more comfortable and I now ride in the drops at least 50% of the time. Should have fitted this way a long time ago. Gotta say the top of bar grips do give a padded place for your palm when right on top near the stem or maybe better when your hands are around the hoods. The drop grips were my favorite provided more palm comfort and way more to hold onto and seemingly way more control. In each case the pads make it so the small diameter of the bars is enlarged resulting in less pressure concentrated in a small area of your hands.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:12 PM

I’ve used a bunch of redshift stuff - have loved the simplicity yet convenience of it all!
Old 09-05-2024, 04:15 AM

They have helped me navigate finger-numbness issues. Solid product.
Old 09-05-2024, 06:29 AM

Had a customer in with the full handlebar/grip/tape set up the other day and she was one happy camper.

Smart products.
Old 09-05-2024, 08:56 AM

Very interested in both the drop and top grips to fight hand numbness. I’m reading that the top grips are prone to slipping - has anyone found this to be the case?
Old 09-05-2024, 09:24 AM

for my initial install

I just stuck them on with no adhesive except black electrician's tape at both ends and then wrapped that area again with bar tape. Wanted to make sure they worked for me and were in an orientation that felt right. During yesterday's 35 miles solid as a rock. Should be just fine if you use their stickem tabs and included extra strong strapping tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
Very interested in both the drop and top grips to fight hand numbness. I’m reading that the top grips are prone to slipping - has anyone found this to be the case?
Old 09-05-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I just stuck them on with no adhesive except black electrician's tape at both ends and then wrapped that area again with bar tape. Wanted to make sure they worked for me and were in an orientation that felt right. During yesterday's 35 miles solid as a rock. Should be just fine if you use their stickem tabs and included extra strong strapping tape.
Thank you. Do you find that the extra long tape was needed on standard bars?
Old 09-05-2024, 10:27 AM

I have a set of these, sitting on my floor. Was going to put them on, but the shop wants $65 to do it and I'm holding off until winter, when things are slow and I can get it back quicker.
I'd do it myself, but I *think* I'll need to bleed the brakes to do it? They will need it anyway, so all at once over the winter.
And yes, did you need extra long tape? What did you use?
Old 09-05-2024, 11:48 AM

How do the uppers work with external cable housing routing? Can one run one front, one rear, both in front?
Old 09-05-2024, 12:13 PM

?

Not sure why you'd need to bleed the brakes. Just remove old bar tape, slip on these things, retape. I think with both the upper and lower grips installed there is actually less bar to tape, so won't need extra long. If you just install the uppers then to cover those and go to end of drops you may need more length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I have a set of these, sitting on my floor. Was going to put them on, but the shop wants $65 to do it and I'm holding off until winter, when things are slow and I can get it back quicker.
I'd do it myself, but I *think* I'll need to bleed the brakes to do it? They will need it anyway, so all at once over the winter.
And yes, did you need extra long tape? What did you use?
Old 09-05-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Not sure why you'd need to bleed the brakes. Just remove old bar tape, slip on these things, retape. I think with both the upper and lower grips installed there is actually less bar to tape, so won't need extra long. If you just install the uppers then to cover those and go to end of drops you may need more length.

I haven’t seen any photos with the drops wrapped - is that a thing or would it look even more weird/chunky?
Old 09-05-2024, 03:57 PM

Redshift makes cool stuff. I might eventually get the grips, but for now, my gravel bike bar tops have wraps of electrical friction tape under the cork ribbon to make them a little thicker, and the drops have three layers of cork ribbon to increase the diameter and spread out pressure on my hands. I use Salsa Cowbell bars and my fit is based on having my hands in the drops most of the time.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:02 PM

way more clunky

if you wrapped the bottom grips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
I haven’t seen any photos with the drops wrapped - is that a thing or would it look even more weird/chunky?
Old 09-05-2024, 04:05 PM

It seems that top grips would be redundant -- if not incompatible -- with some modern bars that have flattened aero tops, but I would try them on my Soma Highway 1s.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:22 PM

maybe would just add extra padding to existing flattened bars

could be good for the palms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
It seems that top grips would be redundant -- if not incompatible -- with some modern bars that have flattened aero tops, but I would try them on my Soma Highway 1s.