Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2024, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Show your workshop Sound System

The video of the Pegoretti workshop got me daydreaming about upgrading my workshop sound system to something nicer to listen to while I tinker.

One question in 2024 is where does your media come from? I have Apple music that I listen to in the car and while running but my shop has always had a basic FM radio set to the classic rock station.

Inspired by Peg, I'd like to maybe listen to some blues, jazz, etc. Expand my horizons. Is streaming music the best solution right now? That would probably:

a) significantly uncomplicate the setup (no cd player, tuner, turntable, etc)

but

b) rule out some vintage equipment.

Let's see what's in your shop??
Old 08-16-2024, 04:46 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Is streaming music the best solution right now? That would probably ...[snip]... rule out some vintage equipment.
My opinion on whether or not streaming music is the "best" solution right now would probably derail this thread into unintended areas. However, it's probably the most convenient solution (although it is hard to beat a good FM tuner/antenna combo, provided your local stations are aligned with your tastes).

But I'm curious why you think streaming might rule out vintage equipment? Standalone streaming hardware is available, and while that would substitute for a vintage turntable, tape deck, tuner, or CD player (are CD players old enough to qualify for "vintage" status?), there's nothing to stop you from connecting your streaming hardware to a bona fide vintage pre-amp, power amp, and speakers.

Somewhat germane: I recently mentioned in a conversation with my 27-year-old niece that I had purchased Peter Gabriel's most recent CD. She looked at me like I had two heads and asked incredulously "Why would anybody buy a compact disc any more?!?!"

Kids... :smh:
Old 08-16-2024, 04:49 PM

Flac files streamed from a local storage device, Tidal streams from the net. LPs via a VPI turntable with MC cart and custom SUT.

Newest amp is a Mac 2505 but the 1963 HH Scott amp gets most of the play.

Last edited by shadco; 08-16-2024 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Thanks Bob, good point on the standalone hardware. I'm just starting down this rabbithole from ground level.

Old 08-16-2024, 04:56 PM
#RYFB

My workshop is also my office, so I use my Mac iTunes library primarily but can also stream from various sources. I have a receiver that the Mac is hardwired to with Bose speakers mounted in the upper corners. I also have an old Apple Airport wired to the receiver so I can also stream via AirPlay from other AirPlay capable devices. I mostly use the latter for podcasts since I manage all my podcast subscriptions from an app on my phone.
Old 08-16-2024, 04:58 PM

For a workshop space I wouldn't want to be messing around with physical media with greasy, dirty fingers, so streaming would be optimal.
Old 08-16-2024, 05:24 PM

I have a LED light bar over my workbench with a built in BT speaker. The music comes from my phone in my pocket. The sound is great.

I like to keep things simple.
Old 08-16-2024, 05:39 PM

If this is too much like humblebragging, mods should feel free to delete.

Two houses ago I built a shed, which was nicknamed the "aircraft carrier" by a friend when he saw me putting up the trusses. It was built in two phases - 16x24 and 24x48 feet, with 10 foot ceiling (bare trusses). Unheated. Sort of an L or T shape between the two sections.

The place I moved to late last year came with a pole barn, which I think is 30x40 feet with, I dunno, 16 foot high trusses?

Eventually, the old Denon receiver, CD player, 4(?) Polk satellite speakers, and Polk(?) subwoofer from the old place will get hooked up out in the pole barn.

I just spent a ton of money getting electrical service out there for non-music purposes, but having music there isn't really on my list of things to do at this point, even though the next phase would only require a lot of speaker wire, some of which I still have.

It's about 100-150 meters from the house, so standard wifi won't stream a signal that far. Someday I'll probably figure out a solution, since I get tired of changing CDs and I'm out of range of the good OTA radio station.

More to the OP's question -

1) A digital media server may be a good idea. I know next to nothing about them, and I'm not even sure I used the right nomenclature, but you probably get the idea. The tedious part is getting the files onto the server, whether it be high quality tracks ripped from CDs, or low quality tracks from wherever.

2) Also note that there are a jillion online stations which can be streamed to a receiver via wifi. Heavy metal, Cajun, folk, classical, irish... you name it. I do this in the house rather frequently. Most are free, but I give $100/yr to the one I listen to 99% of the time.

Last edited by reuben; 08-16-2024 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 06:18 PM

Photo later

I’ve got my whole house running google chrome cast audio pucks, centralized amps in the basement and wires through 9 rooms in the house. Ended up with just a small pair of bookshelf speakers in my work area but running its own zone.

I’d love a traditional stereo to use here but just too messy while working on bikes and stuff, love just controlling it from my phone.

Also have a few JBL speakers that also use google chrome cast audio… very convenient. I stream everything from Spotify…. Or not streaming online…
Old 08-16-2024, 06:22 PM

Today I listen mostly to podcasts and use a basic Bose Micro speaker that’s ancient and goes with me everywhere. Very basic experience. Love listening to smart people tell me about their life experiences!
Old 08-16-2024, 06:29 PM

no pics but a

Scott 222c with an old Parasound Halo CD player and a pair of klipsch heresy.
of course telefunkens
Old 08-16-2024, 06:40 PM

I've got a couple of options in my workshop.

Most often used - iPhone with Shokz OpenFit earbuds. I also use these for running and gravel riding, and general work where I don't need ear protection.

For streaming with ear protection, I have a pair of Sony over the ear headphones that I use when mowing or using power tools...

Google speaker, streaming whatever

Pair of BA bookshelf speakers connected to a Denon streaming AV receiver in the next room

Sony LCD tv, with a connection for my Mac as large external monitor

The nice thing about the iPhone/earbud option is that I frequently more around in/out of the workshop and am typically listening to a podcast...
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 08-16-2024, 06:51 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
For a workshop space I wouldn't want to be messing around with physical media with greasy, dirty fingers, so streaming would be optimal.
Yeah, Android to a Marley BT speaker. Phone is a few phones ago so if I get schmutz on it I don;t care...
Old 08-16-2024, 06:53 PM

I just repurpose stuff for use in the garage/shop for the most part.

Currently I'm using an old surrround sound stereo at the center of everything. I have a wonderful sounding Denon CD plugged into it that sees some use. I do have an antenna on it but there's not much in the was of clear radio waves in the little mountain valley I live in.

But mainly I use my old Fiio X3 hi-res digital player. Like a fancy Ipod that plays HD flac and other music files. It can output via a standard audio jack or a coax digital jack.

I did swap out some huge old Pioneer speakers for some newer, smaller, better sounding ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1486.jpg (106.9 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1487.jpg (65.8 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1488.jpg (72.5 KB, 340 views)
Old 08-16-2024, 06:59 PM

My workshop stereo is in the room next to where I do most of my bike maintenance, but close enough to listen to for government work. I do however ride rollers or the trainer in the same room.

I agree with jdp211; I can't be messing around with stereo equipment while greasy fingered. FM radio is good enough for me-set it and focus on the bike!

My workshop is in my basement so FM signals are slightly attenuated. I recovered most of that loss with a B.I.C. Beam Box and Magnum Dynalab FM signal amplifier. The combo works fine for the lower powered non-commercial radio stations I listen to, up to 35 miles away.

The receiver is a 20 or 40wpc. Yamaha; I forget. Enough FM presets for what I need. I find Yamaha affordable quality.

For speakers I have a pair of Klipsch kg 2.2's; two-6.5" woofers flanking a horn loaded tweeter. Full range they play down to the 50Hz. They sit high on shelving about 7' off the floor and 15' apart.

The receiver sends the audio to a Klipsch kg sw subwoofer (Can you tell I am a Klipsch fanboy?!). The passive subwoofer plays down to 38Hz and sends a 150Hz high passed signal to the 2.2's. Worth it. I originally had a budget, powered Sony subwoofer which sounded boomy, bloaty, and just plain awful.

Note the gratuitous bike part in the subwoofer photo!

I bought the Beam Box, FM signal amplifier, 2.2's, and the subwoofer all from eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Stereo - 2.jpeg (75.2 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpeg Stereo - 1.jpeg (75.7 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpeg Stereo - 3.jpeg (88.6 KB, 353 views)