Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
as long as folks follow their chart (and follow the pressure guidelines on the tire), they should really be fine.. I do wish Giant would update their chart more often though..
have they updated their chart at all?
I feel like I'm looking at the same chart from 12 mths ago.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:31 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneye View Post
have they updated their chart at all?
I feel like I'm looking at the same chart from 12 mths ago.
could be for sure..
Old 03-01-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I recall there was a recent dust-up on the net regarding Challenge tires separating themselves from the rims they were mounted on. Scared the crap out of me. I had briefly entertained the thought of trying a pair of Strada Biancha tires, but I stepped away from going forward with a purchase.

Hookless rimed-wheels will not find a home in the dropouts of my bicycle for the same reason. What is the point?
Agreed. I can’t imagine the circumstances under which I would ever “ go there” .
Remember the days when tubulars were considered to be “too much trouble to mount” and people worried about the possibility of rolling one off the rim?
Old 03-01-2024, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Agreed. I can’t imagine the circumstances under which I would ever “ go there” .
Remember the days when tubulars were considered to be “too much trouble to mount” and people worried about the possibility of rolling one off the rim?
For road use I agree 100%. When looking at the photo of that rider who lost a tire, sealant and the Vittoria liner at the UAE race made me wonder how far we have regressed. The sealant alone is more hassle than tubular cement and then adding a safety liner to keep the tire “inflated” after a puncture is a bridge too far, especially since the tool to remove the tire and subsequently the liner can’t be practically carried on a ride.

Carrying a spare tubular is nothing compared to all that.

I’m not going back to tubulars because I’ve found my happy place with wide rims (hooked) and clincher tires at a lower (75-80 PSI) pressure and for me that works. But these tubeless road tires with liners and sealant that sprays everywhere just seems like regression, not progress.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:32 PM

News from UCI:
"In light of a series of recent incidents involving the use of hookless rims and tubeless tyres (a combination commonly referred to as hookless) in professional road cycling, the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) has decided to study the situation as a matter of urgency with a view to taking a rapid decision in the interest of rider safety.

These measures will be communicated as soon as possible.

The UCI shall continue to work closely with the stakeholders of cycling and equipment manufacturers to ensure that appropriate measures are taken both in the short and long term. This review and the decisions that will follow are part of the UCI's policy to promote rider safety, one of its major concerns."
Old 03-01-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
For road use I agree 100%. When looking at the photo of that rider who lost a tire, sealant and the Vittoria liner at the UAE race made me wonder how far we have regressed. The sealant alone is more hassle than tubular cement and then adding a safety liner to keep the tire “inflated” after a puncture is a bridge too far, especially since the tool to remove the tire and subsequently the liner can’t be practically carried on a ride.

Carrying a spare tubular is nothing compared to all that.

I’m not going back to tubulars because I’ve found my happy place with wide rims (hooked) and clincher tires at a lower (75-80 PSI) pressure and for me that works. But these tubeless road tires with liners and sealant that sprays everywhere just seems like regression, not progress.
shows you how much you know... you need nothing more then a usual tire iron to put these on and take them off. Yeah I've had practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal.

It's progress to me... not having to stop during group rides.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
News from UCI:
"In light of a series of recent incidents involving the use of hookless rims and tubeless tyres (a combination commonly referred to as hookless) in professional road cycling, the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) has decided to study the situation as a matter of urgency with a view to taking a rapid decision in the interest of rider safety.

These measures will be communicated as soon as possible.

The UCI shall continue to work closely with the stakeholders of cycling and equipment manufacturers to ensure that appropriate measures are taken both in the short and long term. This review and the decisions that will follow are part of the UCI's policy to promote rider safety, one of its major concerns."
Hmmm ... this could mean that the UCI is actually taking the issue of rider safety seriously ... but I suspect it may just be a PR delay tactic, along lines of the tobacco companies standard response that "the connection between cigarettes and cancer requires further study."
Old 03-01-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Hmmm ... this could mean that the UCI is actually taking the issue of rider safety seriously ... but I suspect it may just be a PR delay tactic, along lines of the tobacco companies standard response that "the connection between cigarettes and cancer requires further study."
As usual I’m probably missing something, but I can’t see the correlation here. What possible motivation does the UCI have to allow the continued usage of particular tyre size/rim size/rim type configurations that are outside international standards and potentially unsafe?

Surely not even Big Hookless wants pro racers riding tyres too narrow for their rim IDs?
Old 03-01-2024, 01:16 PM

Interesting also that the UCI refers to “a series of recent incidents”.

For all their faults, and there are many, they do _in theory_ look across races at all levels globally and should have a much larger data set than just Thomas de Gendt at the UAE Tour.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:20 PM
Back At It!

decent discussion on this recent "The Wild Ones" podcast/video, you can scroll per the timeline if you just can't spare the time to watch to the whole thing great podcast/series though, highly recommended!

https://youtu.be/DYLlI8xNX64?si=kJOzXpTRSXOnxKn2
Old 03-01-2024, 01:26 PM

I for one hope the UCI....does Diddley squat.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:35 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
it would be interesting to know the tire pressure the rider was using when he had that blowout.. as they discussed in the link above, maybe the rider was "old school" and told his mechanics "I always ride 90psi, set the tires to that".. or maybe the mechanics aren't up to speed on the newest stuff if they are a bit traditional as well (or just not as informed as others)..

without that key piece of info (tire pressure being run), we're just blowing a bit of hot air, aren't we?
Old 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Same. Every podcaster and prognosticator looking for clicks is crying foul - but this is most likely user error more than anything.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:50 PM

To put things in context, one of the interesting stories in Phil Gaimon's book was the year his team was sponsored by HED wheels and Kenda tires, and Kenda only made 23mm tubular tires, which were too narrow for HED's wide rims. So the riders were cracking rims, so the mechanics were increasing the pressure in the tires so the riders had poor traction in the rain and crashed a lot.

So at least we don't have that problem anymore.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
The UCI usually only bans things they find aesthetically unappealing in the name of safety. Things that are actually unsafe but still look good remain legal.