Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2024, 04:04 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
...Cedar Creek/Belle Grove...
Dave
Dave, you're welcome!

Regarding Cedar Creek, they are having some reenactments there in a couple of weeks, I believe on the 19th and 20th. I'll be there with my girlfriend on the 19th (Saturday) if you'd like to meet up.
This week (and weekend) they are having the National Border Collie Trials, or something to that effect. I've never seen the place so abuzz! Campers, food trucks, fields set up for different activities, overflow parking in designated fields, people walking about. It's usually just me, the cows, and a few lingering ghosts when I ride through there.

I actually became deeply interested in the Civil War several years before moving here. I wasn't an 'expert', because I didn't read quite enough and my reading retention for facts is pretty poor, but I dedicated a couple of years to almost exclusively reading American history and a little world history from around the late 1700's- late 1800's, mostly focusing on the Civil War, including ante and postbellum.
Alas, I've forgotten most of what I learned. I intend to get back into it soon, because I would certainly enjoy my rides even more if I understood the history of the places I rode through.
I used to live in NJ (still do, all too often, actually) and my bike shop is right outside of Monmouth County, just 10 or so miles from where my historical hero, the Marquis De Lafayette, rendezvoused with Washington before the Battle of Monmouth, shortly before Washington crossed the Delaware a bit north of Trenton. I've ridden bikes and walked around the area, very cool to understand the scope of the battlefields that are described in the books --they are often much smaller than one would imagine!
Old 10-04-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Dave, you're welcome!

Regarding Cedar Creek, they are having some reenactments there in a couple of weeks, I believe on the 19th and 20th. I'll be there with my girlfriend on the 19th (Saturday) if you'd like to meet up.
This week (and weekend) they are having the National Border Collie Trials, or something to that effect. I've never seen the place so abuzz! Campers, food trucks, fields set up for different activities, overflow parking in designated fields, people walking about. It's usually just me, the cows, and a few lingering ghosts when I ride through there.

I actually became deeply interested in the Civil War several years before moving here. I wasn't an 'expert', because I didn't read quite enough and my reading retention for facts is pretty poor, but I dedicated a couple of years to almost exclusively reading American history and a little world history from around the late 1700's- late 1800's, mostly focusing on the Civil War, including ante and postbellum.
Alas, I've forgotten most of what I learned. I intend to get back into it soon, because I would certainly enjoy my rides even more if I understood the history of the places I rode through.
I used to live in NJ (still do, all too often, actually) and my bike shop is right outside of Monmouth County, just 10 or so miles from where my historical hero, the Marquis De Lafayette, rendezvoused with Washington before the Battle of Monmouth, shortly before Washington crossed the Delaware a bit north of Trenton. I've ridden bikes and walked around the area, very cool to understand the scope of the battlefields that are described in the books --they are often much smaller than one would imagine!
Thanks again Michael. Speaking of re-enactments at Cedar Creek, my wife and I rode by one in 2021 on our bikes. Here are some pics. Thanks also for the invite, not sure yet - will let you know.
Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 10-04-2024 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2024, 07:14 PM
Vendor

Fantastic pics, Dave. Looking forward to it!
Old 10-04-2024, 08:16 PM

Another glorious fall day…

The big bluestem grass is even more colorful in person.

We’ve been very fortunate, September and early October have featured lots of great weather.

Old 10-05-2024, 03:47 PM

Got out today for a good gravel ride in one of my favorite spots to ride. Couldn't ask for better weather and the dirt was perfect after a little rain last night.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Fantastic pics, Dave. Looking forward to it!
Thanks Michael. A few books back, I read Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz. It mentions a great deal about all these re-enactments and the various opinions of the re-enactors, from the least to the most dedicated, regarding tradition and historical accuracy. It also covers Civil War attitudes now present in many southern states - a good read for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Confederates-...xt%2C85&sr=1-1

Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 10-05-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2024, 07:56 PM

Today's ride started out as a trip up Snowbasin Mt to find the fall colors. I also wanted to see how the old Poprad climbed on pavement vs the dirt/gravel mountain roads it mainly sees. Well, let's just say the added weight with those fat gravel tires makes it not as much fun going up as one of my road bikes. But I got 'er up there.

Coming over the first peak to see this view is usually quite rewarding. Today I was just struck but the overall lack of color.

Today's bike

There was some color

Made a foolish decision to try riding the Poprad down Wheeler canyon. Some dirt path but mostly really rocky and the world of suspended mountain bikes. Quite a bashing ride on this bike but I managed not to kill myself or the bike.

The Garmin showed downgrades as steep at 14%

Really rocky for a good bit with some sections so rocky I kept saying I was an idiot as I continued down.

Most of the way it's mountain on one side and 20-30 ft drops into a creekbed on the other side.

This is what the good sections of the trail looked like

Everytime the trail would turn nice like this there would be another area of showbox size rocks another 50 meters on.
Old 10-06-2024, 05:40 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Thanks Michael. A few books back, I read Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz. It mentions a great deal about all these re-enactments and the various opinions of the re-enactors, from the least to the most dedicated, regarding tradition and historical accuracy. It also covers Civil War attitudes now present in many southern states - a good read for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Confederates-...xt%2C85&sr=1-1

Dave
That sounds like an interesting read, and I’d bet Royal Oak Books on Royal Ave in Front Royal has it. Nice little mostly-used book shop with a good selection of Civil War and Shenandoah area history books.
Old 10-06-2024, 07:26 AM

It's in the details, and people are getting in the Halloween mood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20241006_082306_Gallery.jpg (59.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20241006_082338_Gallery.jpg (129.8 KB, 107 views)
Old 10-06-2024, 11:40 AM

Another short 20 miler with my wife on a nice fall day in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia:

Solar panels galore... again:
Old 10-06-2024, 12:59 PM

Beat the heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1444.jpg (134.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-06-2024, 01:15 PM
Vendor

Quote:

Solar panels galore... again:
That's in Cedar Creek, right? Either on or around Vacluse and Hites road.
I don't recall seeing any of them there until recently, what's the story?
Old 10-06-2024, 01:21 PM
Vendor

Dramatically lit morning ride with my friend Simon, on the dirt roads of Clarke County, VA. Very very foggy at first, then all of a sudden whaddaya know, blue skies and unfiltered sunshine everywhere. This was on the little Soma Rufus Choncho Naomi Watanabe Watsunami Watanomi bike, running those 20x2.2" tires at 30 psi. Always lots of fun!
The best thing about riding with Simon, aside from lots of other things, is that he's thoroughly British; so every time a car passes a little too close for his liking, I am treated to his loudly muttered commentary from behind, chock full of distinctively British expletives, delivered with an impeccable accent.
"Tosser." "Wanker." "Bloody moron."
Great stuff. And this was a great ride. I'm well chuffed.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2024, 02:09 PM

Fall miles and smiles

Leaves, little winding roads, babbling brooks, and the joy of steel tubing.
Happy fall everybody.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E7557315-7259-4F2D-BBB7-C8564F9E7D8E.jpg (154.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-06-2024, 02:17 PM
Vendor

Oh boy that Hampsten is nice.