Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2022, 08:25 PM

That chain elongation 😩
Imagine paying $7200 (listed price) for a bike and having to put a drivetrain on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C04BEB0A-2340-4AC0-842B-4F9E669FF126.jpg (79.9 KB, 427 views)

Last edited by slambers3; 08-25-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:41 PM

That's not chain stretch -- the photographer just spun the cranks backwards to get them in the horizontal position, and the chain rode up on it's edge.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
That chain elongation ������
Imagine paying $7200 (listed price) for a bike and having to put a drivetrain on it
Now imagine clicking the Specifications button and revealing that it's a SRAM 12 speed FORCE AXS drivetrain with a power meter and carbon wheels, sub 19 lbs!

Old 08-25-2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
That's not chain stretch -- the photographer just spun the cranks backwards to get them in the horizontal position, and the chain rode up on it's edge.
My bike won't do that no matter how hard I try. Anyone else?
Old 08-26-2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
True. AXS chains can get off their teeth like that.. it’s a feature.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Peter, TPC should put you on payroll.
Known Nick and Pete for a long time. I like their act, hear some of it from the inside and I'm still impressed...not only the journey from where they started...selling pro's stuff in their front yard on the weekends, but also Nick's compassion about this daffy biz. And Pete is a happy camper too, still at the Rapha Boulder store(I think, haven't been in there since Vecchio's moved).

Easy to slam the big guys, you see it all the time with just about any gadget or gizmo but...I like the crew at TPC and they do a good job..it's as simple as that.

BUT, it's a toy business..if ya don't like them, don't use them. Emotion DOES play a part. Often when you buy something, you buy the company or the sales person or something as much as the product.
Without getting into the nitty-gritty..I care zero about how good sram may or may not be but after getting dumped on by a certain taco eating knucklehead there, TWICE, I would rather walk than use any of their stuff.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-27-2022 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:58 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
BUT, it's a toy business..if ya don't like them, don't use them. Emotion DOES play a part. Often when you buy something, you buy the company or the sales person or something as much as the product.
Without getting into the nitty-gritty..I care zero about how good sram may or may not be but after getting dumped on by a certain taco eating knucklehead there, I would rather walk than use any of their stuff.
yep, we are an emotional sack of bones walking around this earth and we are really good at holding a grudge.. back in the day, I had a '99 S-10 Blazer that was a complete pile of crap.. because of that one experience, I've never even considered another Chevy product (even though I'm sure their full-size trucks are fine and are actually a usable size for a 1/2 ton).. the problem is there is often way too many choices that allow us to be choosey.. not a bad problem to have, just makes for discussions like this.

I have no issues with TPC, even if they declined making an offer on my CAAD10 6 months ago.. I love the fact that they exist and often look at their stock, just haven't found something that I had to have yet..

Last edited by fourflys; 08-26-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
True. AXS chains can get off their teeth like that.. it’s a feature.
Gah, I didn't catch that....now I get it.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:46 PM

TPC for me…

I’ve always found them consistent. The descriptions are accurate, prices fair, on what I know I need.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:25 AM

This is interesting. So TPC stopped selling on ebay when they launched their webstore (good business move). But are now back on eBay selling bikes again.

I wonder if things are slowing down, or not going according to plan.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellvetica View Post
This is interesting. So TPC stopped selling on ebay when they launched their webstore (good business move). But are now back on eBay selling bikes again.

Interesting. I am getting ready to close my store on ebay. It has become untenable. Sales are fine, but the fees and stupid little ebay games have created an toxic selling environment.

I am sure ebay courted TPC back.

But, with ebays refusal to be smart and move to another state (Boulder? Austin? Miami?) like everyone else....

You will now pay California sales tax on that Colnago.......EVEN IF YOU LIVE IN ANOTHER STATE.

TPC pays a big fee to "have a store"

TPC will be forced to accept returns and have the money taken from their "pending payout" with no notice.

TPC will be paid via a "payout", at the whim of ebay, and pay $6 for the privilege. This is exclusive of the fees which make paypal blush.

etc etc etc
Old 09-20-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:

The bikes they have on eBay are ones that have sat unsold on their main site for a looooong time. From what I can tell..

I'm very happy with the 61+ Allied Alfa Disc I just got from TPC - well packed - delivered on time, as described - and a very reasonable price..

Old 09-20-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I had a "we'll get back to you when we're buying used wheels again" offer a few months ago, and of course it was lower than I expected, which was to be expected. However, when they recently decided to buy used stuff again, I received an email regarding my wheels for substantially less than their previous offer.

Nothing changed- I didn't resubmit anything or follow up with their initial offer, and the offer number was the same, just substantially less. I can only think that the free-flowing venture capital money isn't as plentiful as it once, especially since the market is changing and they have a ton of inventory.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post

But, with ebays refusal to be smart and move to another state (Boulder? Austin? Miami?) like everyone else....

You will now pay California sales tax on that Colnago.......EVEN IF YOU LIVE IN ANOTHER STATE.
Sales tax on eBay is based on the state where the buyer is located, not based on where the seller or ebay itself is located.

TPC was already large enough that they have been collecting and remitting sales tax through their direct sales as well. The tax thing shouldn't make a difference for them whether or not to sell on eBay.

No idea if eBay offered them a deal to get them back on, or TPC just had some inventory that wasn't moving so they decided to experiment.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Known Nick and Pete for a long time. I like their act, hear some of it from the inside and I'm still impressed...not only the journey from where they started...selling pro's stuff in their front yard on the weekends, but also Nick's compassion about this daffy biz. And Pete is a happy camper too, still at the Rapha Boulder store(I think, haven't been in there since Vecchio's moved).

Easy to slam the big guys, you see it all the time with just about any gadget or gizmo but...I like the crew at TPC and they do a good job..it's as simple as that.

Without getting into the nitty-gritty..I care zero about how good sram may or may not be but after getting dumped on by a certain taco eating knucklehead there, TWICE, I would rather walk than use any of their stuff.
True we can be a very emotional lot, but hopefully the taco eating was not part of the core issue. Tacos are the BEST!