Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2022, 01:37 PM

So tragic....
Old 12-03-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I think this is just sloppy reporting to honest. Even if vehicular homicide is not recognized in Germany, hit and run is. Moreover, under EU rules, German will extradite a german citizen to another EU country for trial, but upon sentencing the German is returned to Germany to serve the sentence. The Italians will have to present evidence to the German court and the person will be arrested. It takes time.

The process here will be slow, but the wheels of justice will still turn.
Glad to hear that!
Thanks
Old 06-22-2023, 10:39 PM

Update

https://apnews.com/article/germany-i...1f9dbd7a10eac8
Old 06-23-2023, 01:14 AM
Vendor

nvrmnd...
Old 06-23-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Arrested in my hometown... :-/
Old 06-23-2023, 08:02 AM

I don't understand this. From the article:

Quote:
German prosecutors say a truck driver wanted by Italy in connection with a crash last year that killed professional cyclist Davide Rebellin has been released from jail pending a decision on his extradition.

Wolfgang Rieke is accused of road homicide and leaving the scene of a crash. German authorities said he surrendered last Thursday in the western town of Rheine.
He was released from prison and then surrendered for what? Are they saying he just so happened to be in a German prison for something else, was released and then turned his self in for killing Rebellin? I cannot make any sense out of this. Either bad writing or maybe I am just too daft.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
Keep in mind this guy committed two priors alone in Italy including a DUI. Since he is driving internationally and is based in Germany he probably has other offences. Why he continues to drive commercial vehicles is beyond comprehension. A professional driver convicted of DUI in the U.S. will likely have their career put on ice for a long time.
Maybe not: After Convicted of a DUI, Can I Get My CDL Back?
In most cases, you’ll be able to get a reinstated CDL after a DUI conviction. If you were driving a non-commercial vehicle when you committed the DUI, you can usually get a CDL within a few months. If you were driving a commercial vehicle when it happened, you’ll probably have to wait at least a year before it’s reinstated. This only applies to a first DUI conviction. If you’ve been convicted of a second DUI, you’ll no longer be able to obtain a CDL license.

https://selectsr22insurance.com/how-...ivers-license/
Old 06-23-2023, 03:59 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I don't understand this. From the article:

He was released from prison and then surrendered for what? Are they saying he just so happened to be in a German prison for something else, was released and then turned his self in for killing Rebellin? I cannot make any sense out of this. Either bad writing or maybe I am just too daft.
I took it to mean he turned himself in last week and was released since they determined he is not a flight risk.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I took it to mean he turned himself in last week and was released since they determined he is not a flight risk.
Ah! Ok thanks. Makes sense now.
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

"Wolfgang Rieke, 63, received a four-year jail term on Monday for the crash that claimed the life of former pro cyclist Davide Rebellin in 2022."
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Post Mod-ern

Considering . . .

. . . the circumstances of him stopping, then fleeing, that sentence is about 16 years too little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
"Wolfgang Rieke, 63, received a four-year jail term on Monday for the crash that claimed the life of former pro cyclist Davide Rebellin in 2022."
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

I was at the velodrome finish of the 1997 Championship of Zurich which he won . I was probably riding the same Mavic Heliums at the time.

(I drove by a new ghost bike on my way to work today. They are always a gut punch.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rebellin.jpg (137.8 KB, 122 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM

I believe 4 years is what he would receive here (in CA) my friend was killed the same way hit and run, the woman turned herself in the next day, she had prior convictions for drug and driving offences none of which was allowed to be declared at sentencing - I attended the sentencing with another cyclist friend
we both made a statement and asked for the maximum sentence which was given but she was released prior to 4 years for "good" behavior. So wrong its painful.
Old Today, 02:04 AM

Four years? Really??

My goodness I am not sure what I would do if that were my father or brother or son who was killed like this & then see this so called justice
Old Today, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Four years? Really??

My goodness I am not sure what I would do if that were my father or brother or son who was killed like this & then see this so called justice
It's one of the weird factors in the law which seems pretty universal across western societies.

The very fact of intoxication means you had diminishing intent, so instead of murder, it is reckless, unintended act of negligence. Perverse logic, but that is how the law works.

In the UK and Ireland, they have had big campaigns for stiffer penalties to get sentencing extended to 14-20 years, but in the UK it took 5 years or so to get passed which finally happened in 2022. But you need a prior offense to get the stiffer sentence.

In Ireland, they are still campaigning to get the law changed. This is 10 years after the family of Enda Dolan has been campaigning relentlessly. Enda was a student who was hit by a DUI Van driven on a footpath and carried 800 yards on the roof. The driver had 6 pints of beer, 4 jagerbombs, 3 mixed drinks with redbull at the pub and cocaine in his system. 7 years.

(Sadly, examples like this are endless)

Last edited by verticaldoug; Today at 02:50 AM.