Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Ugh, so the hub has a 7-speed HG freehub. Was hoping it was spec'ed with an 8-speed since the RD was 8 and other models in the KillerV line were all 8 speed.

Oh well.

I think my options are (please correct me if wrong)...
- grab any 8/9 speed FH body (from a Shimano QR hub) and drive-side cones to move to 7-speed shell (re-dish and fiddle with spacers required, probably). Use whatever 8/9/10/11 speed combo I want (11 speed with 34t+ cassette only)

- Do a "9 of 10" on the 7-speed body (use 9 cogs and spacers from a 10spd cassette) with a matched 10speed shifter (use RD limit to avoid the extra click). Should be able to retain XT 8 speed RD that came on the bike.

- New (to me) rear wheel or wheel set. Use whatever 8/9/10/11 speed combo I want (11 speed with 34t+ cassette only)
Isn't 7 and 8 speed spacing the same? Seems like you could add 8 speed shifters of your choice and just use 7 of the shifter positions. I suggested bar ends because there wouldn't be any chance of front derailleur incompatibility. I don't know whether using STI like 8 speed Claris would shift the FD correctly. I built a drop bar gravel bike for a friend using Claris but used a Claris FD.
Old 09-25-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Isn't 7 and 8 speed spacing the same? Seems like you could add 8 speed shifters of your choice and just use 7 of the shifter positions. I suggested bar ends because there wouldn't be any chance of front derailleur incompatibility. I don't know whether using STI like 8 speed Claris would shift the FD correctly. I built a drop bar gravel bike for a friend using Claris but used a Claris FD.
Not sure about cog spacing. If I'm going to use 7 cogs, I'll just pick up some 7 speed XT pods and new levers (the current stuff is trash). Or barcons if I decide to go noodle bar. I haven't decided which way I'm going yet. I was going to toss on some 11 speed stuff form the parts bin, but that's not going to work without swapping the FH body.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey.d View Post
135 qr hubs are basically free now, but you already have a triple ring, you aren’t going to gain much range “upgrading” to more rear clicks. Swapping out to some thumb shifters and seperate brake levers and your choice of alt bars is all that thing needs. Well, that and tires that aren’t 20 years old.
There are way more gearing and drivetrain options available going to 11 speed. Its a real sweet spot between all the parts fitting on old bikes and having modern gearing ranges and compatability.
Old 09-25-2024, 04:00 PM

Cool build! Looking forward to seeing more on this....