Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 02:23 PM

All you need is the Peachtree Deepblue for your office, for relatively superb office sound. And if you want a pair of $75k speakers theater or listening room for a peanut price, get a pair of Magnepan .7's (about $1500) and their sub if needed - and you will have speakers with a sound quality knocking on the door of those $75k speakers. Bring those owners to your house and they might leave your house jealous.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
this has been a very informative thread.

once i get my home office put together this winter, i'm definitely going to look into some of these options. it'll be a small cozy space, and i think good sound will be an amazing way to get through the day.

good stuff!

The whole DAC receiver thing home office was discussed prior - bottom line if you're using a computer get a DAC or don't . . . or do. . . or not.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
The whole DAC receiver thing home office was discussed prior - bottom line if you're using a computer get a DAC or don't . . . or do. . . or not.
yea, you wound up with a great set-up. i may go in that type of direction too. the good news is i'm not in any rush to get this going, so i'll have plenty of time to think it through.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Somewhere on the internet there is a stereo forum and someone posted a topic

"OT: High End bike" and said they wanted to a bike and to spend no more than $500.

People are probably arguing custom, ti, carbon fiber, is it wheels, tires and aero, aero, aero. I'm sure snake oil is used in there somewhere, too.
And someone (likely one of us) replied, "Why not call up your local framebuilder and have something custom made to your size, weight, and riding style?" A rigorous debate ensued on whether the OP needed a $3,000 Cervelo or an $8000 Firefly. All he really needed was a used Cannondale to ride around town on Saturdays.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:51 PM
not banished

I can totally hear the difference when . . . . .

I can totally go faster with Aero wheels . . . . .

I can't hear any difference . . . .

I went slow then I put those wheels on, so slow it I was almost still . . . .

It's all in the tires and latex tubes . . . . .

The connections are the weakest link, cable ends matter . . . . . .
Old 11-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yea, you wound up with a great set-up. i may go in that type of direction too. the good news is i'm not in any rush to get this going, so i'll have plenty of time to think it through.
B&W 805D speakers, peachtree nova 220SE, two musical subwoofers, a small computer with access to a server for the lossless music, an ipad to control Jriver software installed on the computer.

Easy, done.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Somewhere on the internet there is a stereo forum and someone posted a topic

"OT: High End bike" and said they wanted to a bike and to spend no more than $500.

People are probably arguing custom, ti, carbon fiber, is it wheels, tires and aero, aero, aero. I'm sure snake oil is used in there somewhere, too.
You win best post in this thread!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:25 PM

Moral of the story: don't ask for audiophile advice especially with a beer budget.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Moral of the story: don't ask for audiophile advice especially with a beer budget.
beer?! more like malt liquor.

I'm going to go look at the Adams this weekend.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:03 PM

Please report back on the Adams.
I haven't heard the desktop versions, but the the floor standers with the same tweeter were truly remarkable. And people I respect said good very things about the Adam F5s.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...B1xqYfT1SkC.97

I've heard good things about the Audioengines as well, but this is a price range where the extra couple hundred dollars goes toward improving the sound.
Guitar Center I think has a 15 percent off coupon for Black Friday, while B&H has them for $229 each

And as I said before, you'll likely keep these speakers for 5 years, 10 years or even longer, while the computer they're hooked up to becomes landfill.

FWIW, the floor standing versions of the Adam were $7,000. But they sounded as good as many speakers priced like a Porsche.

Last edited by Avincent52; 11-19-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avincent52 View Post
Please report back on the Adams.
I haven't heard the desktop versions, but the the floor standers with the same tweeter were truly remarkable. And people I respect said good very things about the Adam F5s.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...B1xqYfT1SkC.97

I've heard good things about the Audioengines as well, but this is a price range where the extra couple hundred dollars goes toward improving the sound.

And as I said before, you'll likely keep these speakers for 5 years, 10 years or even longer, while the computer they're hooked up to becomes landfill.

FWIW, the floor standing versions of the Adam were $7,000. But they sounded as good as many speakers priced like a Porsche.
I just dropped a chunk of change on a Mac Pro and I'm hoping it will be the last desktop machine I ever buy so here's hoping the speakers don't outlive the machine.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:04 PM

There are some great kits available that will give you a speaker that would retail for double/triple what you end up paying. Some come with enclosures so you don't even have to do the woodworking.

Madisound Kits

Parts Express Kits
Old 11-20-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I just dropped a chunk of change on a Mac Pro and I'm hoping it will be the last desktop machine I ever buy so here's hoping the speakers don't outlive the machine.
Are you expecting the Zombie apocalypse before El Capitan ends up in The Great OS Graveyard?
Old 11-20-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avincent52 View Post
Are you expecting the Zombie apocalypse before El Capitan ends up in The Great OS Graveyard?
That or hoping the MB Pros coming down the pipe in the next few years are 6-8 core i7s that will handle 32 gb or more ram with a decent video card.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Administrator

OK friends, based on this thread i want to get my wife a set of audioengine a2's for her office. any audio people know of a good cyber monday deal before i pull the trigger?

Tags
audio, audiophile, computer, speakers