Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Today, 02:17 PM

Rear D touching spokes Tink tink tink tink

Because this is only happening on one wheel of several that I have tried I think it rules out a bent RD hanger. The bike is a C'dale Synapse with a Powertap G-3 Hub and a 11-32 cassette.

The RD hanger is brand new, it's the kind that bolts on. By eye it looks straight and again this is the only wheel doing it. I've set the stop so that the chain barely gets on to the lowest cog. It only does it while under stress, so like a really steep hill. Once the hill levels out it goes away.

This led me to believe that dish or spoke tension had something to do with it so I gave each drive side spoke a half turn and trued it up. Still does it. My other PT G-3 wheel does not do it though that cassette is a 11-28 I think. I do not have a spoke tension meter but the other G3 wheel definitely has a higher pitch when plucking the spokes, audibly, and the spokes are actually longer on that wheel.

I cannot fit a spacer with the 11-speed cassette. Unless they make a thinner one then the one I have which is pretty thin.

When it's in the stand of course it doesn't do it but eyeballing it the RD looks to be at least 3-5mm away from any spokes so I'm not sure what is going on.