Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I had this conversation with someone recently. I noted that very few in my high school class, back in the early 70s, were fat. The kids that we considered fat would only be a bit overweight today. Genes certainly don't change in that short a period of time. My guess it comes down to how much more processed food, and fast food places, there are now. Plus, kids are far more sedentary now than in years past. Bit by bit it all adds up. I'm 6' and 160 lbs but could still stand to lose a couple of pounds around my waist. I rarely say it out loud as I look very slim and most people take that claim as a humble brag. Still...I notice it.

Tim
https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC3147141/

There are some studies with Rats and food addiction. If rats eat their normal diet, they don't over eat and don't become obese. However, switch to a processed food diet, and the little buggers gorge themselves.

Once you take the processed foods away, and offer them their normal diet, they don't go back to eating it right away. They eventually have to be starving before they will eat the healthy food.

The high fat/sugar content process foods rewires your mind a bit. This is what is really going on. Maybe it is all high fructose corn syrup.