Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I suppose diseases can appear during any time period but this one has way too much correlation with the move to sedentary lifestyles and increased consumption of processed foods to call it a disease. Or maybe ignorance of nutrition and basic understanding of requirements to keep one healthy is a disease?
I don't know whether or not calling something a "disease" matters for the discussion.

I don't know the OP personally, but his description sounds pretty close to the prototype of obesity in America. He has a full time job, family education, and some additional mental health struggles. He's not 500 lbs, but has probably gained a few pounds every year for the last 20 or so years, and now he's significantly above his healthiest weight.

I don't think there's any indication that he is unaware that he should eat less, eat healthier, and exercise more. But it sounds like he has other obligations in his life that make that challenging for him to execute. This is where, in my opinion, weight loss drugs provide a lot of value. As a practical matter, "eat better and exercise more" is a reliable way to get to a healthy weight, but telling someone "eat better and exercise more" is not effective in achieving that outcome. Weight loss drugs appear to be much more effective at getting people to eat better than any amount of education.