Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
I don't like Subaru cars, BUT, I've seen several tests done on YouTube and the Foresters have the best traction on ice and snow of any AWD on the market by far! So if I lived in areas like Bozo, I would own a Sub Forester. Combine that car with Blizzak tires when snow first starts to fall, and a person could almost go anywhere around areas like that in the snow or on the ice.

Be forewarned though on ice, no matter what kind of tires you have, what kind of car you have, whether it's AWD or 4WD, ice is ice, sure you have good starting traction with the Suby, but that doesn't mean you can go bombing down an ice covered road and think nothing of it! No, you have to drive sanely, realizing you're not going to stop well.

The other problem with Subs is there AWD system has the tightest tolerances of any AWD on the market, and what that means for example is this, if you have 50% wear on all your tires, and you destroy a tire, YOU HAVE TO BUY 4 NEW TIRES! Subarus can't take more than 2/32nds of rubber difference between all the tires. That is a pain with Subs, but for an area with lots of snow and ice, it's a pain worth taking. The only way you can get around not pay for 4 new tires is IF, and that's a HUGE IF, a tire shop has a tire shaver, they can shave enough rubber off the new tire to match the others. Tire shavers use to be fairly common over 40 years ago at larger tire shops, but now they are very difficult to find. The other thing about that tolerance problem is you should be rotating your tires about twice as often as you would normally with any other car to reduce the chances of having a greater than 2/32nds difference.

It's that tire situation is why I don't like Subys, but where I live I don't get enough snow and ice to warrant buying such a car.
So a forester is better than a crosstrek or outback? The tire comments arent a Subaru only challenge and you’ll hear the same story for most if not all AWD vehicles. I know I did with my BMW. Whether it’s true or needed is another matter…