Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Exactly. It should shouldn't be. "Cycling is suffering" and its derivatives are stupid adages that get taken way too far and out of context, preventing common sense, or what ought to be common sense, to prevail over the sport's obsession with hardman posturing stupidity.
People are not chattel. It doesn't matter how much they are getting paid or how much time, money, and effort have gone into the organization of an event -from a local crit to the Tour de France. If conditions are unsafe, the event should be postponed, abbreviated, otherwise altered, or cancelled.

Where do we draw the safety line? That's something that a conversation between riders, management, and organizers can decide.

Watching that one World Tour Pro practically fall off his bike with hypothermia a few months ago after racing for hours in the freezing rain just makes me hate the sport of cycling. I will always love the activity, but I have zero love for the sport.
I've read it took an hour before it was figured out that she was missing because they don't have radios or GPS tracking. It seems that tracking the riders would be a low cost safety improvement. In some cases, how long it takes to rescue and get a rider to the hospital might matter.