Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2024, 11:11 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Around where I live if you encounter a horse it's probably a very wealthy person playing dress up and they are not in very good control of their horse and don't necessarily even know their horse well as they pay someone else to take care of it. So you better be really careful, and they are probably going to be A-holes to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Well in my last encounter I stopped, moved off the trail about 20' to stand behind a tree and still got yelled at an lectured about how I need to keep clear. I asked what else I should have done and her reply was to yell "stay out of my way" My response was that if I was a problem for her, she probably shouldn't be on that trail since there will be many more cyclists, all of which would be less accommodating.
I was riding on a forest road a while back and heard a horse around the corner. So I got off my bike and started walking. The rider asked the person walking with them if I was supposed to be there. The other person said yes, but it shows the entitlement.

The incident that's going to inform my treatment of horse riders until something changes my mind was on the Swatara trail. A group of 5 riders was approaching me at a distance, and one of the horses reared. That horse was too far away to be doing that, so it's irresponsible to ride it on a trail that tight. As a courtesy, I got off my bike and walked, which turned out to be a long way. One of the buffoons in the group hectored me as they went past. Not a single word of thanks from any of them. I still can't believe it, and part of me wishes I had ridden closer to them to cause a little more mayhem. I was in no danger whatsoever at that distance.