Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2024, 04:52 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Yep, weekends on Palomar will have motorcycles and cars pushing their limits but week days are von line. ery quiet. California Bicycles is very much alive and Jason has posted several classic bikes for sale lately on line.

It's easy to ride from University City to the coast at Del Mar and you can go up to Oceanside to get a real taste of SoCal beaches. MANY places to get food/drinks of all kinds hence opportunities to visit with other riders.

It's quite a drive to get to the bottom of Palomar but there is usually a place to park. I would ride up the STEEP South Grade, take a break for a snack and drink at the store at the merge of South and East Grades and then enjoy the swoopy turns because only a few of them are blind. When you get to the bottom you can ride a few miles on the highway back to your car. Real animals ride back up and go down the way they came up but descending South Grade scares me too much to be fun. As far as I know Mother's Kitchen on the mountain is still closed but the store is open.
Mmmm Pizza Port. Miss that place. Had a few birfday parties at the one in Carlsbad.

If you're going to ride Palomar, may as well do the whole thing and ride from the coast.

M