Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2024, 10:01 AM

Bike travel companies. Faves?

Starting to plan for a trip this season, no idea of where other than "someplace new".
Looking for travel companies you've used and been happy with OR ones you would avoid again.
Last year, I went to Portugal with Trek Travel, thanks to BRad704 who gifted me a voucher that made it more "affordable". Still spendy, but a bit less so. I must say I loved it. Everything was covered, basically (don't really drink, so that expense was not an issue). I didn't need my wallet from the time they picked me up until I left them a week later. I thought it was actually good value. And a decent bike to ride.
Flip side? SaddleSkedaddle out of the UK. Did two tours with them, the first to Africa and it was pretty good, but subcontracted. I was happy enough with them.
The second was to Italy, and easily the worst experience I've ever had on a bike. In Italy, which I love. Nothing was ready for us. On our own for everything. Lied (yes, lied) to about the route and previous scouting by the tour group (again, a subcontractor). They literally drew up the route the night before we did it. We ended up being routed onto a highway at one point, and one of our guides just left in the middle of one of the days. Was riding with us, then just was gone. Supposed to start in Venice, we started 80 mile away. That was one of the main reasons I took the trip. It was so bad that SaddleSkedaddle, to their credit, refunded every person on the trip $750 after it was over.
Your experiences? Did they supply a bike? If so, what and quality? How did they look after you? (I didn't have to load the Garmin, pump my tires, worry about carrying food or water with Trek. Wake up, go eat, grab my bike, go ride)
Thanks.

Last edited by makoti; 03-03-2024 at 01:30 PM.