Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I'm wondering...is the difference the shape of the filter holder, the time it takes for water to drain through (based on the size of the openings) or the ability to hold the water longer?

I have been using a Bonavita BV4000ID Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper for the past ten years. It is similar to the Switch in that you can control the flow, although lately I just leave it fully open. It makes much better coffee than a smaller filter holder I use when traveling.

Looks like it's no longer in production. I better take good care of it!
I don't have an answer for you about what the difference is between the two, maybe somewhere on the internet you can find that. I do know that most people like the Switch better than the Clever, both in taste and the quality of construction in reviews that I read comparing the two. I don't really like plastic products if there is another similar device made of something other than all plastic; so I appreciate the over-engineering of the Hario.

I heard about your Bonavita, but I also couldn't find it for sale except there was one on EBay last week NIB, and there is very little on the internet about others reviewing it other than factory reps which means nothing. On Amazon, it got 3 stars whereas both the Hario and the Clever got 4 1/2, but again some people complain about stuff on Amazon for all sorts of nutty reasons that just don't make sense, so sometimes Amazon reviews are not reliable, just depends on what the review itself says. Almost all the one-star reports on the Bonavita are about them breaking the lever too easily, yet you had yours for 10 years, makes me wonder what the heck are those other people doing to break theirs, some broke as many as 3 levers in 6 months?!

Even the Hario lever is plastic, so when you know something could be fragile you don't put force against it, but I can't see that lever ever breaking, the only thing on it that would probably break first is the glass dripper if I accidentally drop it.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso