Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000CSI View Post
I know plenty of people who would not be able to ride due to minor health issues that would not be able to ride at all without an e-bike. Rather have them ride than not.
If carbon, like the article says would be hard to make an e-bike without using carbon.
We bandy this around but is there actually much of a market for $10,000 gravel eBikes needed to ride 100+ miles by riders who were strong riders and who now have some health problem and can't keep up with their friends but yet are still hugely demanding of going on a 100 mile gravel ride?

People with health issues don't really go on 100 mile rides on gas powered dirt bikes very often either. (That's actually really tiring too!)

I am really curious if the market for this is actually motorcyclists. The entire motorcycle industry is basically based on their being a big market of people who enjoy big rides on 2 wheels and have never had any interest in the amount of physical work it takes to do huge rides on a bicycle. There are even lots of people who do enjoy bicycling a lot but still don't want to or can't put that work in all the time.

There is still the problem that if that's actually who might want to buy this that this bike is more expensive than a lot of the street legal dual sport motorcycles though?

Realistically the real problem with this is it's a $10,000 carbon bike branded moots that is not manufactured by Moots. It's really stepping out of their core brand values.

FWIW a whole bunch of the people I've met locally who have bought fancy eBikes are actually coming more from motorcycling. They haven't been buying eBikes that identify as road/gravel bikes though. They basically don't go for drop bars since motorcycles don't have them. And actually I bet I see 500 flat bar eBikes for every drop bar eBike I've seen in the wild. I could probably count on one hand how many drop bar eBikes I've seen.