Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2023, 10:23 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I don’t believe this is necessarily true. The area that housed the Coliseum is pretty industrial. I don’t believe the stadium itself served as an economic linchpin the same way the Giants stadium does. When Pac Bell Park opened in 2000, it totally revitalized Mission Bay. I worked in the area for many of those years. The transformation was shocking.

Civic pride (or “psychic” pride if you prefer) is another thing. Oakland is the birthplace/hometown of Bill Russell, Rickey Henderson, Marshawn Lynch, Dame Lillard, Gary Payton, and numerous other luminaries. It has a very rich athletic pedigree. It seems strange for the Town not to have a professional sports team.
Yeah, agreed. There is an argument here that all public subsidies of sports stadiums is bad. It probably all breaks down to individual deals, both location of stadium and the financial support. All I can speak for is two cities I have watched, Baltimore and Denver, and I really dont know what the public spent, but the effect on the urban neighborhoods where those stadiums sit is obvious. If the cities didnt help too much, win win. But, yeah, there are awful deals, the Olympics always coming in as the worst.

Unfortunately, we are all prisoners to the decisions of politicians and sports team owners, both of which are not the brightest bulbs.

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 04-23-2023 at 10:25 AM.