Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
What's the typical cost of super charging?
Because the units are different, it’s not straightforward to make a direct comparison. On my recent trip to to Florida I stopped at six Tesla Superchargers IIRC. The total cost of these stops was just under $75 from western Chicagoland to near Destin, a distance of 934 miles according to Google Maps. But that’s not a full charge. When we fill a gas tank we typically fill from, say, 1/4 full to 4/4 full. An EV charges most quickly from slightly lower to about 65% to get you most efficiently to your destination. The charging curve flattens rapidly about 50% full due to the chemistry and voltage and other factors. It’d not linear.

So $75 for 934 miles. I did get some free charging at a hotel in Franklin, TN….. I don’t know of any hotels that give gas vouchers. So maybe I can add $10 to my energy bill to get to my destination. Doing a cost per mile shouldn’t be too hard.

These were all Tesla branded chargers. I charge at home for less than half the cost of Supercharging at Tesla’s chargers.

For me, and I think most users, Supercharging is only for when home charging or other options aren’t available, like on a road trip. It is more expensive than home charging, but less than gasoline. I couldn’t have made it this far in my VW Tiguan for the same cost. I estimate that would have run about $115-$120 for gasoline. Of course, maybe a very efficient car would be less expensive than Supercharging.

In this context Supercharging refers only to Tesla’s branded DC fast chargers.