Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2019, 11:18 AM

Wisconsin Road Riding: A Follow-Up

Recently I posted a thread about tires for use on packed limestone trails in Wisconsin. I made the trip, although it was modified from the original plan to ride in southwestern Wisconsin. Instead, I rode in central (around Wausau) and northern (St. Germain/Boulder Junction) Wisconsin.

I did not ride on any of the limestone trails, although I did some riding on the paved Heart of Vilas County trail between St. Germain and Manitowish Waters. Otherwise the riding was on county trunk roads.

The bike trail provides about 50 miles of paved trail through forest and along county roads. Very nice riding with limited bike traffic on the trails and lights road traffic. One of the images below is an example of the bike trail the other the country roads. On the roads, vehicles gave me a wide berth, passing well to the left: they must not see much bike traffic. The combination of light traffic and accommodating drivers was a welcome change from the riding I do in northern California. Even though I live in a rural area, the traffic is considerably more here than in northern Wisconsin. I liked it. For mid-September, the weather seemed a little warm, but there was one fall day with a bit of rain that did not stop my riding.

Doing some riding there was part of a decision making process of if we should move to Wisconsin. I was satisfied that riding, weather permitting, is very desirable in this part of the country. The only drawback I saw was a larger number than expected of ATV's on the county roads. Not sure what to make of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1516.jpg (115.6 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1520.jpg (89.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1515.jpg (128.2 KB, 180 views)