Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Started this thread two years ago....have had the parts for 7 weeks, but we are still moving into a new (to us) home. So, I have been spending a little time here and there. Finished it for the most part this am. Saddle and headset are placeholders. Need a new clamp for the seatpost to accept larger rails. I have a Inset 7 on its way to replace the Cane Creek 40. Stem may/most likely will change. I was planning on putting Handlebra on here, but couldn't get ahold of Ray...would still like to at some point, so Lizardskin it is for the time being.

If money was no object this would be a JKS/X and not a Salsa, but I'm not complaining...and this build would have taken an additional 2 years

Warbird Ti 55cm
Dura Ace 9001 shifters
9000 Rear Der.
CX 70 Front Der.
Dura Ace 7950 SRM Crank with Praxis Rings 52/36 (also have the 50/34)
HED Ardennes + wheelset / Shimano Icetech 60mm Rotors/ Challenge Gravel Grinder Race 38x700 Tires
Ergon CF3 Seatpost
TRP HY/RD brakes
Salsa Cowbell 2 Handlebars
Geoff, looking very good man. 2 years in the making.... sounds epic. Did you have a documentary crew with you to record this grail quest for posterity?

On a more serious note, I have some questions about your motivation. This looks like a no compromises, go fast gravel bike. Is that how you envisioned it? What other bikes are in your stable? That might help to give me an idea of how you envisioned it fitting in.

As I ponder another bike, I have something in mind that is more of an all purpose machine. I'd like it to be able to handle fenders, big tires, even throw a rack on it. Would like it to be a competent cx bike, touring/around town frame, as well as early season crap conditions and a bike that can handle the gravel roads as well.

I wonder sometimes if I'm asking too much from a frame. I've even considered the idea of having it built with two forks (one for fenders) and the other geared for more aggressive riding. Also, have been considering the option of having two wheel sets set up for it, one for cx/gravel tires and one for around town/bad weather.

It seems like discs are gaining wider acceptance, but I still have some questions about what happens if they have issues out in the field.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts about how your bike fits in and any suggestions you might have for my thinking.