Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2024, 08:13 AM

First ride in three months:::OUCH

I have been working 7/13s night shift for the last 3 months. That is 7 nights a week 13 hours. Im in recovery mode for the next few weeks.
I did an easy 26 miler yesterday and am amazed at how the last 3 months have taken a negative affect on my body and mind.
My lung capacity is way down, lost 10 lbs, post ride recovery today is very slow and sore. Had to find some older bibs that fit after the weight loss.
Im gonna take a few weeks off and try to get my diet back on track as well as by body. At 60 im getting too old for shifts like this. It really takes its toll on my body and every other aspect of my life.
My local nuclear plant (TMI) shut down in 2019 and they are looking at getting it back on-line so doing inspection of the reactor and turbine hence the long shifts.
Looking forward to the well deserved time off to try and get back to some sort a life.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:04 AM
ZhugeLiang

Poor T-Lab, getting the cold shoulder.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:14 AM

Hang in there, first couple rides back are always the hardest but I bet you'll still be amazed at how well things bounce back whenever you do get a chance to ride more.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:36 AM

:bi I know the feeling. I recall not only physically lacking, but just didn't feel right. Then all of if a sudden it did -- and life was good again.

Be patient and persistent and you'll be back where you want to be
Old 08-28-2024, 11:45 AM

Hang in there! I took roughly a year and a half/2 years off and just started riding again in March this year. I could hardly get a 10 mile ride in. Lungs, legs, heart were NOT HAPPY! I've been on and off riding since then (sometimes take 2 weeks off) and I've found a bit of endurance and power back. I can do 50mi hilly rides no problem and I'm right at the front door of 20mph avgs again.